_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Another KT on the way...
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 - 03:35 PM UTC
Hey all
Happened to be on the HLJ site a day or so ago & noticed that ICM have announced their take on the KT, with full interior. The CAD drawing looks pretty cool. Anyone else seen this? Thoughts on how this one might stack up against the 4 other brands on the market?
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 - 10:42 PM UTC
ICM already did a King Tiger recently. It really sucked.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:57 PM UTC
I agree with the above sentiment. ICM can do some things well, but armor doesn't seem to be one of them.

At least not when compared to the likes of Dragon, Takom, Meng, or Tamiya.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 01:30 AM UTC
kinda funny as there was a build on track link (the Revell kit) and the results were credible. Seems like it was either a late KT or a very early KT, and really only needed the track changing cable added.
gary
LikesTanks
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 01:47 AM UTC
I'll acknowledge that for most on here the two-piece plastic barrel, one(ish) piece bendy tracks and a lack of PE grilles and clear periscopes are clear minuses; but is the parts fit good and does the kit build up into a correctly proportioned representation of a Tiger II?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 01:59 AM UTC
ICM when it comes to armor do good basic kits. They're a bit archaic by current standards but most modelers don't care. Some have very high standards and an ICM armor kit is not for them.

Their King Tiger would not be my first choice as I don't like how they did the fenders, but that's my one quibble. I sense that they're trying to produce a more reasonable alternative to an Asian kit for the European market.
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 10:03 AM UTC
Ok, thanks guys. I won't bust my chops to get one when it's released then, I'll stick to one of the others when I eventually get around to adding one to the stash.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 01:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, thanks guys. I won't bust my chops to get one when it's released then, I'll stick to one of the others when I eventually get around to adding one to the stash.

depends on what your looking for. A very basic King Tiger, then the ICM kit will do nicely at $30. Gotta have all the bells and whistles, then a Takom or Meng at $75 will do. The Dragon is not in the running with the Takom or Meng kits, but still a good kit at $85. The ICM kit scales well, and is nothing but an un-zimmeritted Tiger. A lot of KT's didn't have zimmerit. Metal barrels? Most don't have them anymore, but there's plenty aftermarkets barrels. Samething with cables, etc.

Build what you want, as I could care less. Myself; I went with four Takoms and two Mengs, plus two Revell (ICM) kits and never looked back.
gary
 _GOTOTOP