_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Challenger II
Lagumiles
KitMaker: 156 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 04:14 AM UTC
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but what is a good colour mix/match for Challenger 2's in Irag? From what I can see, the shade used on Op Telic Challenger 2s is more "yellow" than the sand colour used on Challenger 1s in the first Gulf War(?).

Thanks for any help provideed.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 04:29 PM UTC
If you can get Testors Model Master paints they do have a match for the colour used on the Chally II's in Iraq. Its called British Light Stone and will run ya about $2.50 US a bottle. But if push come to shove just lighten some Middlestone with a few drops of white paint. HTH STUG
Lagumiles
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 07:45 PM UTC
Thank you for your help Stugiiif
Lagumiles
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 07:01 AM UTC
Wy not do British Army green with the Desert Pink colour slapped on top, then ad some areas of flaked paint where the green is visible.

OR.....Humbrol Kakhi (118), with the desert pink on top of that?

P.S. - Where did you get hold of a Challenger 2, I've been after one for ages?
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 07:12 AM UTC
longshanks,

trumpeter do 3 kits in 1/35. the original release has european skirts in it, and the boxart shows one in green and black camo
they also do an op telic kit, this has the ROMOR armour package, and the third is a kosovo one, included is the ROMOR sidepanels, and a dozer blade.

airfix reboxed the trumpeter kit, as did hobbycraft

take your pick

cheers

joe
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 07:15 AM UTC
Tamiya does a Operation Desert Storm Challenger II as well as a non ODS one, and they have a Op Telic one due out too.
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:23 AM UTC
Hi all,

Sorry to correct you HeavyArty but the Tamiya kit is the Challenger 1 not the Challenger 2, it is available in Challenger 1Mk 2 (pre Desert Storm) and Mk3 (Desert Storm or more correctly Op. Granby) boxings.

The Challenger 2 is only available from Trumpeter (also boxed by Hobbycraft & Airfix) or Accurate Armour, and both make an op Telic version & a KFOR version

Happy modelling
Ant
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya does a Operation Desert Storm Challenger II as well as a non ODS one, and they have a Op Telic one due out too.

Ant already wrote that Tamiya never made a model of Chally 2, and I just want to add that I do not believe we will see a model of it from them. To release Op. Telic model Tamiya would have to prepare completely new model, as hardly any parts from their old Chally 1 could be used. I don't see it happening...

Rgds,
Pawel
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 12:20 AM UTC
Thanks Guys......Although I didn't mean to cause an argument!
I'll have to save the money up now................Cheers all!

(greatbrit...........ROMOR....Do you mean reactive armour or is that another nickname for Chobam armour plating?)
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 12:47 AM UTC
I didn't see an arguement there. Just text..... I live in Japan and havn't heardf anything of Tamiya planning a Chally II. The Next set of announcments Tamiya will that's not going to be a surprise is the Shizuoka show in April/May, then in October at the Tokyo Show. These are the only times Tamiya announces anything, and then its only when the product is just about to be released on the Japanese Market. So its possible that Tamiya may do one, but no one will know til the last minute before release. STUG
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 02:01 AM UTC
i cant see tamiya doing one,

as has been mentioned, the chally 2 is radically different from the chally 1, and as tamiya dont bring out many new kits, i would have thought if they are doing a challenger, it will be one of those stupid prebuilt things!

cheers

joe
Lagumiles
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 02:24 AM UTC
I hope Tamiya will spend more energy in developing new kits (f.e. T62, M55 Sheridan, Pizzarro, Amx10P,M113Lynx, Centurion, LAV3, Merkava 4, etc. etc.) instead of loosing time issuing another copy of existing kits
M.G.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 03:59 PM UTC
Well, Think of this Tamiya is becoming a real player in the R/C market. The father retired form the company in the mid 90's and his took over. He seems to be more on the side R/C but he still has a big Passion for the plastic Model kit sid eof the company. His major thing is accuracy. He sent the Zero back to the design stage 3 time because it wasn't perfect!!! Now think what this does to his companies reputation for accuracy, but it also what it does for them in releasing kits. This practice realy slows down the production process and it also insure we don't get kits like the stuff released from trumpeter in their early days. This makes Tamiya a slow producing company, but do we complain about any lack of serious detail in their new kits??? Not realy, we just complain because they are currently doing a lot retooling of the old stuff and updating some as well. STUG

BTW the Master Works Collection is nothing more than a Tamiya responding to market demand!!!! Many people want the models but don't want to build them. Strange thought to us, but hey its what the market is dictating to the companies.
 _GOTOTOP