_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Jeff Shiu US 30cal Machine Gunner
scubatwo
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 04:16 PM UTC
I attended the National Capital Model Soldiers Society Show yesterday and picked up the Jeff Shiu figure. I have never seen arm and leg joints on figures like he does them. How do you handle the joints?

oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 12:18 AM UTC
I super glued aluminum wire into the joints to keep it together, then filled the gaps with Miliput. A little Tamiya putty to blend it in, some light sanding and there you go!

Jesse
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I super glued aluminum wire into the joints to keep it together, then filled the gaps with Miliput. A little Tamiya putty to blend it in, some light sanding and there you go!

Jesse

Same same but different...I use brass pins and Epoxy glue, I prefer it because give me more time and more elastic when dry, then depending on gap to fill use tamiya putty, milliput, Mr surfacer 500 or Mr dissolved putty, sanding, primer and ready to go

do you have some photos of the parts? ...

27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 03:30 AM UTC
His earlier releases had the normal flatter surface joins. Not sure why the change. It makes the assembly and prep a lot harder at least for me.
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 07:03 PM UTC
His sculpting is awesome, but the joints are horrible. Looks like he took a piece of wire and poked it thru the master a bunch of times until it broke free. No clean separation at all. Lots of extra work to make it look good, but the end result is quite a nice figure.

Jesse
scubatwo
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 06:33 AM UTC
Thanks to everyone. You confirmed exactly what I thought. Looks like extra work to me but I will find out. Great looking figure. Here it from his website:

http://jeffshiu.lsft.com/product46.html
 _GOTOTOP