_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
which book to buy?
johnstone
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 08:31 AM UTC
Getting back into armor modeling after a long absence. Right now I only afford one book on painting and weathering. In your opinion which would be the best: Adam Wilder, Michael Rinaldi, or Mig Jiminez?
Thanks for your input!

John
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 12:13 PM UTC
I think Wilder's two volumes on construction and painting are excellent, with outstanding photographic illustrations that really show you exactly what he is talking about. If you shop around you can find each volume for about $35, so there is no need to pay the $45-50 price some sellers want. Two books that cover just about everything most armor model builders could ever handle is more attractive to me than an ever-expanding series of books with hefty price tags--does anybody really need a fifty-dollar book for each and every model-painting technique ever devised?

Also keep in mind that much of the content of many books is available for free on YouTube. In some cases you have to wonder if it's worth buying a book that just repeats what various seminar videos by all the authors you mention make available at no cost.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 12:59 PM UTC
Here's a couple videos of Mig Jimenez at an IPMS showing his painting technique:
Day 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEVBp530bEU

Day 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEVBp530bEU
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 333 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 01:21 PM UTC
Hi John,

I would recommend Wilder's books to get started. Afterwards I would recommend Rinaldi's Tank Art books.

You can complement Wilder book with Wilder's Youtube channel so you can see "in live" what is described in the book.

At IPMS Toronto Barbakan Youtube channel you can find a lot of interesting videos. In the filters video they explain the different options (self made, already made), how to prepare them, use them, etc. In the washes video they again explain the different options (self made, already made), how to prepare them, use them, etc. In the streaking effects video they do again the same.

They also have a few videos on Rinaldi such as his oil painting technique, hairspray technique, and one of his clinics.

You can also watch Rinaldi's AFV Painting and Weathering Workshop at MosonShow 2017 and Rinaldi's Civilian/Gundam Painting and Weathering Workshop at MosonShow 2017. Don't let you fool the Civilian/Gundam Painting and Weathering Workshop because it is the same technique he applies for AFV.

Hope you can learn a lot and enjoy at the same time.

If you are on a budget maybe you can have a look at the videos and then decide which book would be more valuable to you.

I would also recommend that you think a little bit before you start buying the "wonder products" for the different effects since most of the times you can make them by yourself. Another thing is if you find them more convenient than having to prepare them by yourself. I would also recommend that you see the products on the flesh because for example I don't like AK Interactive Dust Effects since it is a grey color which in my opinion doesn't imitate dust.

Regards,
Angel
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 02:05 PM UTC
I have books from all the authors you mentioned and my personal favorite are Rinaldi titles. TankArt deals almost exclusively with painting and weathering, showing the process in a very easy to understand step-by-step fashion.

Mario
Bricksy1969
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 03:43 PM UTC
Get them all!!!
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 07:20 PM UTC
Plenty of YT videos from the mentioned book authors also. I have some books from all, but i'm still a crappy modeler/artist.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 07:32 PM UTC
I guess we're assuming that your focus will be on 1/35 scale?
johnstone
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 08:13 PM UTC
Yes, 1/35th scale.
johnstone
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 08:14 PM UTC
Thank you all very much!! I really appreciate your input.
 _GOTOTOP