_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Sherman Firefly
cire
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hi,
since a few years now, I'm building German AFV. Now I fhink it's time to build something diffrent. I'm thinking about a Sherman Firefly. What Kit would you suggest ? Most Detailed one ? Most correct one ?
Regards
Eric
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 11:04 PM UTC
Dragon makes the only full kit/s in 1/35 plastic. Their latest issue of the VC (#6182) has many up-grades and corrections over the earlier kits. They also did a 1C hybrid at one time, but it's long OOP. No full resin kits around IIRC, just conversions or up-grades. The new one from Formations looks very good.

Check here for info on the Dragon kit

Dragon Firefly VC

and here for the Formations up-grade/conversion

Formations
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 02:28 AM UTC
Welcome to the site Eric. I am not an expert on the Firefly, but I do think it is one cool Sherman. As Geoff stated, DML has recently released a retooled Firefly VC. I haven't seen it, but when DML retools a kit, it normally is a winner.

Good thing about this is that the price on the original Firefly drops dramatically. The old kit is 6031. It uses the old Italeri running gear, but has multi-piece tracks.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 03:07 AM UTC
If you want a Firefly, get the Dragon (DML) kit. They have the Vc & Ic Hybrid that are very nice kits.

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 05:41 AM UTC
I have the new Firefly kit from Dragon ..it has gone a long way to improve the original kit ...I just received my update kit from Formations and I have to admit it was worth every penny...He supplies a new Turret without the pistol port along with many other small details that weren't quite right in the kit...Now I have to find out which Canadian divisions got these fireflies!!

Rick
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 05:58 AM UTC
Rick,

going by the OOB of a wargame, Panzer Campaigns Normandy, by HPSsims,
these units did have them:

All units of the Canadian 4th armored brigade of the 4th armored division (1 platoon (?, 4 tanks)per battalion), that would be Governor General's Foot Guards, Canadian Grenadier Guards and British Columbia Regiment.
Of the 2nd (independent) armored brigade: A platoon of every company of the Sherbrooke Fusiliers..

So far I have not heared too many complaints from grognards about the OOB of this battle (sole exception IIRC the fight about the arrival of one of the American infantry divisions, IIRC 2nd infantry).
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
Oh I know we had fireflies ,but if they had the turret without the pistol port ..now that is to be a bit harder to find pictures of...Anybody got any pictures??? Anyone know when this type started to appear??Is it okay for Normandy or was this a later period?? Ahh got to love these Shermans don't we!! lol #:-)

Rick
jackalone72
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 07:23 AM UTC
So what is better the Formations upgrade with all the goodies or to get the metal barrel from I think it is by Edurad?Or both what do you guys think I have two of these kit and I want to get the best things before building.

Aj

Allied Tanks Rule!!!!!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 08:11 AM UTC
You get a great resin barrel with the Formations kit ...but if you just want the barrel the Eduard one is spot on..

Rick
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 01:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh I know we had fireflies ,but if they had the turret without the pistol port ..now that is to be a bit harder to find pictures of...Anybody got any pictures??? Anyone know when this type started to appear??Is it okay for Normandy or was this a later period??

Near as I can tell, some had pistol ports, but many didn't. The pistol port was eliminated on the later low-bustle turrets, which are the same turrets on the M4A4s that were converted to Fireflies. The Firefly VCs used in France after D-Day are both ways, as are most Firefly ICs I have seen in photos. Perhaps the Brits favored the no-pistol-port turrets for conversion because of internal stowage issues. I'm not sure.

BTW, the way I understand it. the pistol port was originally eliminated because it was seen as a ballistically vulnerable point on the turret side. It returned because the tank crews used it for many other purposes: extra ventilation, view port, waste disposal (with help from an empty shell casing -- use you imagination) and a empty shell casing ejection port.
cire
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 12:53 AM UTC
Thank's guys
gluesniffer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
Cire,

Just be careful, I know some people who hate those indy links. Plus that one for the firefly has the tread with pins that go into each side.

I wimped out and went with Accurate Armor's tracks - one piece flexible resin

Good luck

_GOTOTOP