_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sd.Kfz. 2 Kettenkrad (Dragon 6114)
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 11:01 AM UTC
Assembly of the kit is already complete, camo painted, filters applied (once again, stepping in late in the build). Anyways, im bit unhappy about DS tracks, they look worse than separate link ones, that were available earlier. Plus, their shape is bit wrong. Kit itself is quite nice, although has tons of soft details, that are not so fun to work with.

PS. is there a better way for posting images without thumbnails?
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 11:42 AM UTC
Hi Darius

Looks pretty good, but have you checked the sit with the tracks and wheel in place? The DML rad sits up at the front when the wheel is applied, so you need to rework how the forks are placed and re position the linkages .

As for the pics, when you upload them to this site, open each pic in your gallery and copy the URL from the main picture, not the url for the thumbnail. Then you will get full size

i.e.
Your first pic has the url
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/thumbs/IMG_54291.JPG
but the full size pic has the url
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/IMG_54291.JPG

Note /thumbs
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 12:30 PM UTC
Thanks Peter! Works perfect now.
For the wheels. I have tried, and in early steps it looked ok. Unfortunately, entire front fork assembly is overly loose and hard to align, so after i will do all the splashes on the fenders, i will take a second look. I have been struggling to get handlebars parallel when wheel is straight, as well, entire fork assembly is slightly off center. There is always an option to display it climbing over hill, so front wheel is in the air
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 10:31 PM UTC
Little progress on this build. Filters and first dose of chipping done. There is minimal amount of "deep" chipping, as it is light, and non armored vehicle after all. you don't get to walk on it, or load heavy stuff on it.

Some colors on Pupchen:

I have also added Bronco's Spzb's 41 to same box, so everything is coming along together. Similar procedures on the small pieces. Makes life easier

There's also lots of small pieces (If8 carts, ammunition etc) coming along together. One thing i haven't started yet, is ammo for Pupchen. Dragon included Panzershreck ammo (RPzBGr 4322), instead of RPzgr 4312, applicable to the raketenwerfer... First, rounds are too long. This is easy step, i only need to shorten the rocket tube by 4.6mm (Panzershreck round is 16cm longer). I will also have to scratch the wooden box for the round. Once again, one included in Dragon kit holds 2 4322 rockets, and 4312 wooden box should hold 3 rounds.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and non armored vehicle after all. you don't get to walk on it, or load heavy stuff on it.

Unless you are posing for photographers:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ae/f1/fb/aef1fb15103559a820404b58b3e8cd9a.jpg
http://pm1.narvii.com/6415/099c8d11b9de8b1ce096756e9fb11183abe627dc_hq.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/R9zXB38DEnM/hqdefault.jpg
http://www.info-pc.home.pl/whatfor/baza/aa1/kess.jpg

I like what you have done. Looking good.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 01:26 PM UTC
Looking very nice Darius, good job.

The first linked image above looks from reenactors to me...

As for the tracks, you may consider Minor tracks, they are workable and come already assembled -just need to close the loop:

http://www.minor-web.com/newproducts.html
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 01:09 PM UTC
I have seen tracks made by Minor, unfortunately, i don't feel its worth to super detail this kit. First, it has too much soft details, or parts like muffler completely missing. In many areas you start to feel like true sculptor, trying carve kettenkrad out of the plastic blob.... Front wheel for alignment is a joke. If glued straight out of the box, it will not be straight. After straightening, it is offset to one side, then distance from wheel-bar handles to tank is different. And that's not all problems with front wheel fork. Hole in wheel is conical, so wheel will net be centered in fork, unless you put in small tube. Part holding fork to the tube is SO LOSE for will be wobbling all over the place if you don't fix it. Now lets skip middle part of kit rant, and finish off with protrusion they call trailer hitch. First, instead of vertical, or even better, being separate part, the hitch is pointing towards kettenkrad. Without serious surgery, it is impossible to hitch the trailer to the kit.. Unless everyone wants to build this diorama:

Next issue, is the trailer. Instead of giving us proper trailer, they include infantry cart. Lets call things in real names, its wheelbarrow, not a trailer. They also sugest in instructions, to use towing handle on the Pupchen to hitch it to kettenkrad. Towing eye is pressent on the kit, but no, use handlebar...
At retail price of 30 Euro, this kit is a dog. I really like how it looks now, i enjoy finishing it, but not building it. If you would add extras to detail it, you will end up with 50+ Euro bill, which can buy you a decent kit. Come on, for 11 Euro i bought Tamiya Schwimwagen, which is great little kit, that builds into nice model OOTB, but if you spend 30E on it, you gett all bells and whistles. So unless you MUST HAVE KETTENKRAD, this kit is not worth it.
Ok, mode off, lets continue the build. Started splashing the kit:

test fit:
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 01:42 AM UTC
Tracks on. Some touch up and painting of small details. Test fitting trailer for Spzb 41. Only minor weathering left to do on kettenkrad now, to blend everything together.

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hi Darius,
Nice assembly work ... or should I say ... correcting this stubborn little beastie. Nice camo style as well.

Cheers!🍺
—mike
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 01:52 PM UTC
Yes looking good, worth the frustration.

I shelved mine when I picked up this one cheap:

$20 Aud... about 13 Euro....

Its the old ESCI kit reboxed. I'll tackle it one day.
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 12:22 PM UTC
The kit it self isn't bad, simply i feel its not fair to trade kit from previous century as a modern release (price wise).
This one is getting very close to finish now. Painted over headlamp, IMHO looks better. now got to tone it down a bit. Then some accessories, tarp, dust, subtle soot on little guns and its done.

/457333]
/457334]
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 01:01 PM UTC
Ok, this one is more less finished. I might return to it later, when i will get my hands on some tarps and other items i might stack on it. SpzB is Bronco kit. It is incorrect to depict it being towed, as breach is open, plus, there should muzzle break covered. Never the less, combination looks good.

And as added bonus, theres some extras to use in diorama:

_GOTOTOP