_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Legend: New TOW Sets
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 - 02:14 AM UTC

After offering TOW sets for Humvee, Legend Productions expands the list with two new TOW releases developed using 3D technology.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 - 03:16 AM UTC
Great to have a new detail TOW on a tripod!
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 - 03:34 AM UTC
Okay I am interested! Thank you for the review Mario
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 06:47 AM UTC
These are AMAZING! I'd like to see a Milan set with crew sometime soon!
TheoBraat
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:48 PM UTC
Couldn't the front end of the tube be more hollowed out? Apart from that, nice sets
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 10:04 PM UTC
Excellent......I picked up the turret set today at Euro Miniature Expo......now looking up M1167s!!1
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 11:53 PM UTC
I have the M1167 set that came out a while back. The detail is amazing. The castings are perfect. I did find one thing that is a bit annoying. One of the most detailed pieces has a massive pour plug attached where there are fins. The part is the main sight assembly. I think Legend should have broken it down into more parts. I'm not sure how the detail here can be cleaned up. I'll try to get photos taken for the review I want to start.

Rob, look up Sgt Sauer's site, HMMWV in Scale at hmmwvinscale dot com. There is a great walk around of an M1167 he photographed. Many of the photos from a Google search are from this one.

Theo, the fiberglass launcher should be open all of the way to the end of the missile. The front 13 of the launcher is open when a missile is loaded.

Regards,

Eric
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 12:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Couldn't the front end of the tube be more hollowed out? Apart from that, nice sets

My understanding is that the missile tube is sealed until it is fired with end caps similar to this photo...

drilled open the end caps on some Tamiya kit tubes to show a few empty after being fired tubes along with the ready missile rounds ... but this attempt was years ago prior to Peter's fine offerings

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that Theo is referring to the launcher tube, not the missile container. I can be drilled out to the part where the tube widens.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think that Theo is referring to the launcher tube, not the missile container. I can be drilled out to the part where the tube widens.

Oh okay. That I had missed
TheoBraat
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Exactly. Thank you for that.
And yes, the end of the tube (launcher) can be drilled out, but I would have thought that Legend had 'simply' given us a hollow tube.
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 - 06:14 PM UTC
I've had Brent's hmmwvinscale site saved for sometime, but hadn't realised there was a walk round on there....cheers (don't forget the site will go next year......)

Does anyone know what units use the M1167? walkarounds are great but some proper functioning vehicle photos would be superb
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 - 06:41 PM UTC
Theo, I think many of the M1167s are serving in the National Guard.

On another note, I really would have liked it if Legend had given us an empty launcher as well. The set would have been a bit more versatile that way. You could show a vehicle with the entire system broken down and stored. The missile rack set that accompanies the TOW launchers comes with six rounds, in two different types. One of the tube types has a rectangular panel on it. Does anyone know what the difference is? You can see what I'm talking about if you look at the picture that accompanies this announcement.

Regards,

Eric
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One of the tube types has a rectangular panel on it. Does anyone know what the difference is? You can see what I'm talking about if you look at the picture that accompanies this announcement.

Regards,

Eric

I've never seen a tube with that panel on the top as of 2004. Might be some kind of indexing for another type of platform.

Two other points, the pad on the back of the missile would probably no be used much and the hatch, the way it's positioned, would make the gunners day very interesting.
 _GOTOTOP