Hosted by Darren Baker
Cadillac Gage Commando
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 01:15 PM UTC
Anybody know if any C-G V-100s were fitted with a flamethrower turret? I saw a pic of one with a turret that looks suspiciously like the flame turret from the M-113.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 - 12:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anybody know if any C-G V-100s were fitted with a flamethrower turret? I saw a pic of one with a turret that looks suspiciously like the flame turret from the M-113.

I doubt it, as the principle users were MP's. Their main job was road security.
gary
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 06:59 AM UTC
True, but a flame thrower might be kinda handy in a convoy ambush. And I know the 720th MPs had M-113s. As for the Zippo V-100, I think I figured that one out. An M-132 carried, besides the thrower / turret, 4 55 gal. fuel tanks, a compressor and a pressurization tank. and all this gave only 30 seconds of use. Might weasel that into a V-100 but it would have to have been remote controlled cuz there'd be no room left for a crew. Or a system that would fit would only have a half second of squirt. The idea looked good on paper.
trickymissfit
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

True, but a flame thrower might be kinda handy in a convoy ambush. And I know the 720th MPs had M-113s. As for the Zippo V-100, I think I figured that one out. An M-132 carried, besides the thrower / turret, 4 55 gal. fuel tanks, a compressor and a pressurization tank. and all this gave only 30 seconds of use. Might weasel that into a V-100 but it would have to have been remote controlled cuz there'd be no room left for a crew. Or a system that would fit would only have a half second of squirt. The idea looked good on paper.

your disrespecting the other guys! The one thing the NVA did well was to set up an ambush. They knew the only thing leaving the column was infantry and tracks. Wheeled things were setting ducks because they almost always hit the second or third truck and something in the middle with a command detonated mine (often a 155 projo or even a 500lb. bomb). A zippo taking an RPG hit is toast, and if he's ontop the mine he'll take two others along with him. Not a welcome sight in a convoy. The machine gun turret was.

Remember convoys went by road. Sometimes paved and sometimes dirt and mud. The jungle often grew right up to the edge of the road, or worse yet rice paddies.
gary
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 11:27 AM UTC
And the Taliban thought THEY were the inventor of the IED. ('Course we think the MRAP was our brain child. South Africans had them back in the 70s.) I'm familiar with convoys in Vietnam. That's why I thought the Zippo would be a slick idea, especially in an area with heavy vegetation.
trickymissfit
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And the Taliban thought THEY were the inventor of the IED. ('Course we think the MRAP was our brain child. South Africans had them back in the 70s.) I'm familiar with convoys in Vietnam. That's why I thought the Zippo would be a slick idea, especially in an area with heavy vegetation.

Actually everybody kept their distance from a zippo! Even in a CAV unit. I did a few unplanned adventures with CAV units, and they almost always kept them outta sight. On the otherhand a mortar track in an ambush would have been very useful.
How a guy had the huge set of gonads to unscrew a live fuse from a dud 155 or 8 inch round I'll never know!!! No way I would! They did everything from 81mm mortar rounds to 1000lb. bombs.

By the way the S. Africans were probably over ten years ahead of the MRAP.
gary
 _GOTOTOP