_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Churchill Crocodile
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 09:29 PM UTC
About to embark on tamiyas CC and have a question on the instructions...

Bits of the instructions say "Fix when Churchill MkVII will be assembled. In this case the trailer will not be drawn".

The preamble at the beginning of the instruction states that the MKVII Crocodile is the flamethrower varient and as such has a trailer, i.e. Tamiyas version but the above statement seems to contradict this.

I'm confused, any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers

David
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:14 PM UTC
The Crocodile version is a special flamethrowing version of the Churchill Tank. Most used variant for converting to a Crocodile was the MK VII. Tamiya on the kit gives u the Churchill MK VII tank and the fuel trailer. If you dont wish to represent a Crocodile but just a MK VII Churchill you follow the instructions as for the MK VII version and if attaching this parts in the way described then you cannot add the trailer is not to be drawn. At this time i am building the same model so if you need more help i am happy to give it to you

Costas
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:39 PM UTC
Further more i d suggest to make it a croco, cause is a unique theme , the trailer is huge and this is a special variant that was used in war so why dont do it ?
25 years old kit and still is a winner !!!!!! If u want some already done check in my gallery please !!

Costas
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:55 PM UTC
Cheers I'll keep you posted.
Started on the trailer and will do the Croc when thats done.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 12:27 AM UTC
The trailer iws ok nice and easy, you can change the handles with ones from copper wire to be more nice . Give good glueing to the tires and trimm them with a file to pretend the weight pressure take care of good building the trailer - tank joining system so that it is movable rotating . If anything else i a am here to help with pleasure
yorkie
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 101 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

25 years old kit and still is a winner !!!!!!
Costas

Agreed. Only that it is not that old. If my memory haven't failed me, this kit is first issued in 1987. BTW, Tamiya kits of late 80's are all very impressive, even better than many latest issues of some other companies.

I also has this kit, and I planned to make it a Crocodile also. And in my opinion, Eduard PE is a must to get the best out of this kit.
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 02:38 AM UTC
couldnt agree more, kit built (excluding tracks) and primed in about 4 hours.
an exceptional kit indeed.
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:45 PM UTC
Got to the decals stage and as its part of the overlord campaign want to get the divisions right etc.
Opted for 79th a.div however, i dunno if these were part of the 2nd army?
The 34th a div option shows 2nd army decals but the the 79th does not.
I also assume the the i.d. marks (5 point stars) are applicable to both divisions but want to check before applying.

Any help much app'd.

Update pics in my galley btw.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:54 PM UTC
Not sure of the unit, but this is the Crocodile in the Tank Museum at Bovington and linked to the D-Day tanks display:
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Agreed. Only that it is not that old. If my memory haven't failed me, this kit is first issued in 1987

I'm afraid your memory is playing tricks. The hull parts on my example are dated 1977
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:48 PM UTC
MMmm?

According to tamiyas instructions the shield with the fist signifies 34th Ar.Div.

I'll stick with what ive got and leave out the 2nd army shield.

Cheers
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Agreed. Only that it is not that old. If my memory haven't failed me, this kit is first issued in 1987

I'm afraid your memory is playing tricks. The hull parts on my example are dated 1977

but hasnt it been re-tooled? get this my local shop has the CC and the normal churchill the CC is £17 were as the churchill is £23? why cause you get some new figures not sure what else comes with the new tool I'll have a look later and compare both kits
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but hasnt it been re-tooled?

Maybe I should have been clearer with my last post. The example I have is the later issued Mk VII with the new figures and no trailer. While the tank upper and lower hull is marked 1977, the new figures seem to be dated 1996 (or at least thats what is on the clear parts they have included). It is weird that the prices differ so much, I can only assume that it is due to the later tooling costs incurred for the figures but at the same time there is possibly less plastic in the box with the exclusion of the Croc specific parts.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 05:48 PM UTC
The tank itself has not been retooled or improved, tha trailer is missing (which is a pity) and some figures are added . thats all. but still is a good kit , i ve just finished it this sunday night and if i find my cable i ll download some pictures much happy about this build, i wish most models are like this.!! what else to say !!!!!
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 07:18 PM UTC
i must admit that when i built my Croc it was a typical Tamiya kit. Built totally OOb it was ready for paint inside 4 hours,not bad for a fairly old moulding.
I want to build a Mk VII too and as I'm not too fussed about the extra figures etc I'll probably get another Croc kit so there'll be a trailer going begging when i do.
All the best.
Pete
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:29 PM UTC
havin researched lot on the churchill i d say there are many interesting variants as the AVRE , the Black Prince, the antiaircraft gun carrier or the bridge layers and many more, i d like to get 3-4 Crocodiles in flat price and convert them and leave the trailers as spares. Wouldntbe bad. at a 12-16 euro price each i d buy 4 of them for a base to convert . Its a very nice figure for a tank i like it so much , is so classical ...
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:44 PM UTC
Mjr goose,
if your looking for some conversions then check out these from resicast

_GOTOTOP