M752 LANCE Missile Launcher. Pt.2 the Build
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I came to post my resin shots, but having just arrived this afternoon (20th) I obviously lost this leg of the decathlon

How long and tall are the fins?

KL
janders
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 05:55 PM UTC
1- sorry am away can't measure but I will and compare with kit when I get home
2- also sorry I didn't realize that the imperfect resin piece I posted was actually just an extra thrown in for good measure. There is a perfect version of the same piece included as well. Excellent quality control would recommend!
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I came to post my resin shots, but having just arrived this afternoon (20th) I obviously lost this leg of the decathlon

How long and tall are the fins?

KL

"The I-3 Control Surface fins, in scale, should measure 4.49cm long and 1.4cm tall at the tallest point, (info: Chris Fish).

In the kit, they are 44.1mm long by 12.0mm tall.

The PSM Fins are 43.62mm long by 14.78mm tall.
Paracically the same length as the Dragon fins but as tall as Chris F. says they should be.

"Parts D-35/D-36 Control Surface Containers. The real ones were 6 x 28 x 56 or 68 inches. (Info: Chris Fish)

In 1/35th, I calculate this at:
4.35mm x 20.32mm x (40.64mm or 49.34mm)"

The PSM Resin Fincases are 48.46mm long by 19.58 by 2.82mm depth.
Dimensions exclude hinges, latches or straps.

They certainly look the part, more pics to follow
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 07:21 AM UTC
Thanks.

I'm on the fence as to whether this set is enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile to me. I can scratchbuild most of the pieces; the fins look to be the hardest pieces to make.

BTW, what are the hinge-type things added on the rear hull corners? Are these the swim vanes? Looks like they weren't always fitted.

KL
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 08:19 AM UTC
My PSM order just arrived today. Those hinged plates on the rear being swim vanes makes sense, it was capable of floating. Never seen or noticed that before. Nice touch that they’re included in the upgrade set. Scratch building the rocket fins is certainly doable, a lot of work but doable.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 01:07 PM UTC
PSM Comparison

jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 01:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My PSM order just arrived today. Those hinged plates on the rear being swim vanes makes sense, it was capable of floating. Never seen or noticed that before. Nice touch that they’re included in the upgrade set. Scratch building the rocket fins is certainly doable, a lot of work but doable.

Thanks for the Info Chris, didn't know it was swim capable, the extra bits do look like flippers.

SFAIK, & searched for, they weren't fitted to British vehicles.

A mate was in the Engineers, & at some point British vehicles, Stalwart, CET, CVT's were de-ambhibianised, except M2 Aligator!

KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 08:32 PM UTC

It is unbelievable to me that the DML kit designers did not see a problem when the fins were much longer than the fin CONTAINERS.

KL
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It is unbelievable to me that the DML kit designers did not see a problem when the fins were much longer than the fin CONTAINERS.

KL

Unfortunately that’s more a function of “we don’t care” on the part of Dragon.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

KL

A remotely possible explanation could be that they didn't know or realise the purpose of those strange attache cases.
Maybe it was two different engineers and chit-chat between the workers is not encouraged?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A remotely possible explanation could be that they didn't know or realise the purpose of those strange attache cases.

I'd say that was actually the most likely explanation. There are a number of kits with designs or parts breakdowns that clearly indicate that the people creating the kit had no idea what the parts were or how they supposed to work.

KL
janders
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 10:24 PM UTC
Precisely, it appears to be the case of making a model of something without understand what the subject actually is and how it works.

If you are just making some boxes, you don't realize the issue... if you are making fin carriers odds are much higher you realize they need to carry some fins!
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Precisely, it appears to be the case of making a model of something without understand what the subject actually is and how it works.

If you are just making some boxes, you don't realize the issue... if you are making fin carriers odds are much higher you realize they need to carry some fins!

From Chris F's and the Tankograd book mentioned previously, it appears that there were 3 different M-number designation for the fins and at least 2 different sizes, but neither of the 1:1 sized fins would fit the kit fin cases!
They def dropped one here....
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From Chris F's and the Tankograd book mentioned previously, it appears that there were 3 different M-number designation for the fins ....

??? I only know of two, the M29 (large) and M30 (small). What's the third?

KL
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 - 01:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

From Chris F's and the Tankograd book mentioned previously, it appears that there were 3 different M-number designation for the fins and at least 2 different sizes, but neither of the 1:1 sized fins would fit the kit fin cases!
They def dropped one here....

To my knowledge there were only two sizes of control surfaces.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 01:36 PM UTC
Sloow progress, what with Work, Uni stuff, family illnessess, dealing with a person having had a stroke & one heaven of a surprise from my no#1 daughter!

Coming together, Kit + PSM resin, the U-frame & cradle before the missile look the part, as do the fins.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 01:41 PM UTC

Missile & launcher frame, quite the fiddliest thing I've ever... finished, minus the offerings to the CM!

There is a tiny 'nub' on the bottom of the missile, I drilled this out & put a pin in it, drilling out the top mounting point. and did the same on the middle 'pad' on the bottom of the launch rail to provide a positive mounting.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 01:42 PM UTC

The instructions don't say, but I presume the top two telescoping sections are goung to be chrome-like?
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 02:00 PM UTC

Tracks: I taped the 1 long & two 5-link parts plus 5 + 7 single link parts to a flat foam chunk,, so that all the parts were touching on the pivots as the should, lightly airbrushed them shades of VJ rust/redbrown.
Flip them over when dry, & paint the other side, then dry brush the inside wearing surfaces, idler and sprocket teeth with dark/worn steel and/or pencil lead.

Key point was to pre-paint the track without adding paint to the mating surfaces.

Glue the separate track pads to the 5 (sprocket)+ 7 (idler) single tracks before the next step, or it will be fiddly to add them when in situ, don't ask!

I then added 5 segments around the sprocket, & lightly touched the pivot points with green-top Tamiya extra thin, allow to set off, adjust position, & glue the sprocket to the tub.
Line up the 5 track part, bridging the sprocket to the 1st road wheel & add the long track to the bottom.
Allow to set off, adjust as needed, wrap a long piece of 6mm Tamiya tape round the sprocket & track run to hold.

On one side, I added a single track segment between the long lower run, and the 5 segment to the idler as the wheel positions aren't symetrical. otherwise wrap between 5-7 single parts round the idler as above.

A neat touch is the 5 segment track piece immediatly behind the sprocket uppper run is curved, but since I've fitted the skirts, and not visible, I haven't fitted it.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 03:53 PM UTC

The Lady has her (side) skirts on

Bottom one, PSM, 'slightly' too long? Top one Dragon, 'slightly' to short?, your call...

PSM boxes, the fins would fit the fins cases btw
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 01:24 PM UTC
Minor Update:

Minor progress, adding small details, such as lights, clips, & other small details. (I stop when frisking the CM equals or exceeds build time in any one session).

Still to do:
Add a dozen or so tiedowns above the mud guards.
Paint & decal Missile.
Touchup & camo the Carrier vehicle, paint light fittings.
Finalise research for UK Markings, mostly from Tankograd book mentioned above.
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 10:20 PM UTC
Excited to seeing this thread again. Work so far looks great.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 - 02:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excited to seeing this thread again. Work so far looks great.

Thanks for the encouragement, I have our club annual show & 2 esssays to write in the meantime!
 _GOTOTOP