_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Best kits in 1/35
STLDALE
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 01:01 AM UTC
I am wondering who's kits fit together the best?
Tamiya maybe?
I am wanting to build some German AFV,not tanks, and prefer kits with good fitting parts.
Thanks.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 01:47 AM UTC
Very subjective question,Tamiya fits well,so does Meng,Dragon,and Takom.But your question is too broad,the only way to find out is to zero in a kit that you are interested in then Google it for build reviews and build logs,or ask here about the kit,but it's impossible to paint a manufacturer with a broad stroke,for the most part they all have some gems and some clunkers
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hi Dale;

There was A Time when Tamiya was the Top kit maker; But these Days there are Trumpeter, Takom, Meng, Tiger, and other's who produce great kits ! And Its really Personal Choice, Some say Tamiya's plastic is the Best, but you have to learn how to Work with different grades of plastic. Some kit maker's have A Softer plastic, while other's are on the Hard side. The Subject that you pick can be confusing when there are more than one type of vehicle or the same type by different kit makers. If you are just getting started then stay with A kit with A small parts count, or How much that you want to Invest !

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am wondering who's kits fit together the best?
Tamiya maybe?
I am wanting to build some German AFV,not tanks, and prefer kits with good fitting parts.
Thanks.

Tamiya has a reputation for well-engineered kits which go together well with relatively little trouble.

(Pause for those who wish to disparage Tamiya kits which caused them to curse and throw tools).

Some modelers prefer challenging kits with as many parts and as much detail as possible and there are brands which provide that. But as you seem to be interested in building models which won't be troublesome, then Tamiya is probably a good bet.
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 02:02 AM UTC
It seems like your question could be rephrased as, "Is there a manufacturer whose kits are consistently free of troubling fit issues?" Tamiya seems to have the top spot by consensus but I also agree with others who say; 1) choose your subject and investigate all your options, 2) determine your preferred level of detail and challenge, 3) etc. The more you can focus your question, the better your answer will be.
STLDALE
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 02:04 AM UTC
Thanks folks.
Yea right now I need kits that are good fitting.
All the highly detailed kits will come at a later date.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 02:39 AM UTC
Never had a problem with parts not fitting whatever the manufacturer.

I just reach for a bigger mallet!
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 401 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks folks.
Yea right now I need kits that are good fitting.
All the highly detailed kits will come at a later date.

In my experience: the great majority of Taniya kits, Meng kits except for the Merkava 3D (maybe I had a lemon?), dragon kids (tried Tiger Is, IIs, Flak 88). AFV club artillery is also really good. I haven’t tried Takom yet but am curious about it.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 07:06 PM UTC
Best fits are Tamiya , Dragon,although dragon instructions can be a nightmare and way too many small parts .never had a problem with Italia kits either. Usually you get what you pay for. I avoid the lesser know kits .At my age ,I dont look for a challenge I perfer a nice relaxing kit !
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 07:12 PM UTC
For good kits that are top of the class for fit I can't imagine there's a lot of debate for German stuff; Tamiya big cats are as good as it gets. The King Tiger and Panther G are exceptional kits.
STLDALE
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 - 01:57 AM UTC
Thanks everyone.
I will stick with Tamiya for now.
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks everyone.
I will stick with Tamiya for now.

I love Tamiya kits and if I had to pick only one company to buy from the rest of my life it would be Tamiya. However that would mean I would miss out on some great kits, and I would regret that.
I have 4 very fun builds going right now and not one of them is Tamiya. I will be starting a Tamiya kit as soon as I clear a spot for it but I would not give up any of my current builds for it.
Don't limit yourself. Try different companies. Just do some research first.

Here's a great place to start.
https://www.scalemates.com/
 _GOTOTOP