_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Somua S35 colours
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 01:15 AM UTC
Hi,

picked up Tamiya's Somua over the weekend. Looks like a fantastic kit but I am a little puzzled by the suggested colours, in particular the use of XF-21 Sky on the light areas.
Colour profiles in my references and restored examples almost always have a pale brown or beige, rather than Tamiya's suggestion of a pale green.
So are Tamiya correct or just picking a colour from their range that they think looks about right?

Any suggestions welcome. I typically use paints from the Humbrol and Vallejo ranges.

Thanks in advance

Ste
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 01:36 AM UTC
From what I see in "Trackstory #11: Somua S35", Tamiya is correct.

gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 01:42 AM UTC
Just finished one of these and submitted photos for a feature. I found that once I added filters and some weathering, the colours looked a lot better. Can"t comment on actual accuracy though.

Gary
Halbcl2
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 02:37 AM UTC
Stephen, I love 1940 French armour because of the wonderful schemes. There were 5 production batches of the Somua, each with variations of factory applied camo. And to add more to the mix, the turrets often came from other facilities with camos totally unmatched to the hulls.
And yes "sky blue" on the turret and sometimes upper hull was not unusual.
F. Vauvillier "The Encyclopedia of French Tanks and Armoured Vehicles 1914-1940" is excellent.
Here's my S35, from the 1st DLM.

phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 03:34 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
Been a big help. I'll go with Tamiya's suggestion. Might even change the tone of the turret colour to add a little more variety.

Tom, awesome build. I like the weathering, does help to tone it down somewhat but still look colourful. I had no idea about the turrets being built at different factories. I suppose that explains the difference on the one in the instructions. I'll have to improve the bin straps like you did. Probably the only part of the kit I didn't like. Should be easy to fix.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 - 05:49 AM UTC
Did you use a sharpie for the black separation line?
Halbcl2
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 - 07:50 AM UTC
No. I realised I was not capable of painting the black border stripes, and I was afraid to try a marker. Instead I used black decal strips, in 2-4 cm lengths. I treated a Tauro Model decal sheet with Mircroscale Liquid Decal Film to keep the thin strips from fracturing. It worked better than I expected.
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 333 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 - 11:56 AM UTC
Hi Tom,

I love your S35. It is really beautiful and well painted.

I would appreciate if you can teach me how you painted the machinegun, exhausts, leather ties and the tools (wood and metal part). To me they look like the real part.

Thanks in advance,
Angel
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tom,

I love your S35. It is really beautiful and well painted.

I would appreciate if you can teach me how you painted the machinegun, exhausts, leather ties and the tools (wood and metal part). To me they look like the real part.

Thanks in advance,
Angel

Yes, the tools and those leather straps are outstanding.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 - 12:15 PM UTC
Steve Zaloga used the paper from Reese's Peanut butter cups for the straps. Don't know if you can get these in the UK...
Halbcl2
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 - 05:31 PM UTC
Thanks Angel.
The MG barrel is brass, from RB Model. I chemically blackened and buffed the edges with graphite.
Send me your email and I'll send you my detailed painting notes. You too Doug.
I am worried they may be too long to post . . . ?
[email protected]
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 - 05:46 PM UTC
I used the Ammo by Set for my French armor, I find the Forest Green, Earth Brown and French Blue a little more correct then the Tamiya colors.

http://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-sets/268-ww-i-ww-ii-french-camouflage-colors.html
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 - 06:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

From what I see in "Trackstory #11: Somua S35", Tamiya is correct.

Hi Stephen,

I too used Trackstory when building a Heller SOMUA s35 a couple of years ago before Tamiya rolled out their version. I bought the kit shortly after it came out but haven't gotten to it yet. I also have a Hobby Boss R35 that's waiting in the wings. For me, the reason to build these kits is partly BECAUSE of the wild looking color schemes. There are build photos out there utilizing ROSE-PINK in the camouflage! Theses are not run-of-the-mill paint jobs by any stretch of the imagination. The colors are jarring when first applied, but filters and weathering tone them down quite nicely.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 02:32 AM UTC
Kevin, I'll keep my eyes open for those paints. I know my local model shop has various sets from Mig, Vallejo and Hataka so I might get lucky with them.

Karl, another great build.Been looking at the Hobbyboss Renault and their WW1 tanks for a while. Might have to get a couple a little later. You are right about the colours being an assault on the senses. We're so used to building and painting drab coloured vehicles that it doesn't seem right to have something so garish! I'm sure the French army had a reason for it and it would break up the outline from a distance.
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 333 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 05:20 PM UTC
Thanks Tom for your e-mail,
Angel
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 05:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Karl, another great build.Been looking at the Hobbyboss Renault and their WW1 tanks for a while. Might have to get a couple a little later. You are right about the colours being an assault on the senses. We're so used to building and painting drab coloured vehicles that it doesn't seem right to have something so garish! I'm sure the French army had a reason for it and it would break up the outline from a distance.

Thanks, Stephen. Don't get me going on the Hobby Boss WWI kits: I'm a big fan! Again, I have to talk about the camouflage schemes on the French tanks. They're a challenge to paint and a pleasure to look at when they're finished (to me, at any rate).
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 02:41 AM UTC
Wow! Those are beautifully finished. They're definitely now on my to buy list.

Had a look through my Vallejo modelair paints and found I already have their sky green and a green and brown that look about right. Some weathering will tone everything down nicely.
Been a while since I've built a Tamiya and certainly none of the recent releases, so looking forward to starting this soon.

Thanks for all the help.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 05:17 PM UTC
Really nice work !
 _GOTOTOP