_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Looking to upgrade/update my paints
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 - 11:13 PM UTC
My current paint supply consists mostly of acrylics, Testor's Model Master, Tamiya and Polly Scale. As the jars are starting to dry up and run out, I'm somewhat overwhelmed by all the possible replacements out there. A lot of the threads I reviewed are a bit old (not as old as my paints) so I don't know if they take into account all the latest and greatest brands/lines out there.

I'd like to stick with to acrylics, especially ones that I can brush as I've got a ton of figures that need to be painted. I'm probably not going to be airbrushing (another thing I have to upgrade) much for the time being. My modeling time is so limited these days it's quicker and easier to do a "hit and run" paint job on vehicles etc. with a rattle can.

Based on my current subject matter needs I've picked out the following sets:

AK interactive:
IDF uniform set
Vietnam uniform set

Mig Ammo:
Modern Ammunition (primarily metallics)
Modern Weapons
IDF vehicles special edition
Vietnam vehicles

Thoughts on a flesh tone set?

Are any of the above airbrush only? Am I better off sticking to a single brand?

Any thoughts, advice, recommendations are welcome.
Thanks!
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 07:58 AM UTC
You said you were wanting to brush paint mostly. Stay away from Tamiya in that case. Tamiya does well in an airbrush but has issues with being brushed. Some of the figure painters will have a better answer as most of their work is with a brush.
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 08:04 AM UTC
As far as Acrylics go Vallejo is very good. Just stay away from the Model Air line as it's pre-thinned.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 08:37 AM UTC
For figures, I use Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set. I thin with Vallejo thinner medium and with some practice, have good results - I'm no longer embarassed to show my figures which is a big step, as there are so many talented figure painters on Armorama!

Also - with some practice, I've been able to brush (and airbrush) Vallejo Model Air for things other than flesh. You'll need to be patient as a few layers may be required to get a uniform appearance.

Good luck
Nick
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 12:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips and advice everyone.
I'll have to take a look at the Vallejo line.
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 01:04 AM UTC
Andrea also makes a flesh painting set that is very good. Acrylic and is designed for brush painting.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 05:27 AM UTC
Lifecolor is good also, heavy pigment cost more also, and there is the mission model paints, have not used them I do mostly Tamiya, Vallejo, lifecolor, model master acrylic.No alcohol on Vallejo as you know, and lifecolor can use water.I have good luck using Tamiya for brush painting if you use a alcohol wet brush , and don't go over it , might take two coats. Vallejo is better ,but sometimes I find it will not cover or needs a bunch of thinning for painting.My Polly scale about all dried up ,as have not used them in years, well over 14. LOL Really.I think a bunch still good.

Jeff
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 05:36 AM UTC
with figures i like oils but for base color my go to is lifecolors,very nice quality pigment and matt finish,planty of sets and very good color match,but now i follin in love with Mission Models paint....a new wolrd,first class acrylics paint without the acrylics pait problems...simply the best...and made USA
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

with figures i like oils but for base color my go to is lifecolors,very nice quality pigment and matt finish,planty of sets and very good color match,but now i follin in love with Mission Models paint....a new wolrd,first class acrylics paint without the acrylics pait problems...simply the best...and made USA

^^ This ^^

G
 _GOTOTOP