Hosted by Darren Baker
Hedging with rubberised horsehair
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 - 05:36 PM UTC
That got your attention! A friend of mine picked up this product recently at a railroaders’ show near Sydney. The manufacturer is Australian, has a website, no I have no connection or interest in them, the price is Aussie dollars, and I forgot to measure it but it’s about a metre, maybe a yard long.

Maybe I’m the last to discover this product (?) - a most unlikely material but it looks excellent & could be an essential component for any inland Normandy dio - or anything that needs hedges. It’s easily cuttable, trimmable and augmentable. The following pics speak for themselves but don’t do it full justice...

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 - 07:30 PM UTC
Looks good Tim. Nice product. That kind of stuff has been around for a good while but this looks like a better version of it.
A cheaper thing to use is plain old scrubbing pads that come in all kinds of sizes and shapes,even big ones like for floor polishers/strippers that anyone familiar with th "old army" knows from endlessly cleaning barracks floors.
J
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 - 07:38 PM UTC
Looks a bit too evenly and consistently dense, but it's for model RR and war-gaming. Maybe attack it with scissors to make it rougher looking, and add some other product for variation. Looks too much like a well-trimmed hedge.

pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 - 07:46 PM UTC
just needs to be stretched out a bit in all 3-axesto make it a bit more life-like, but it is great stuff. Brown paint aplpied in a cloud pattern gives it a great look for bramble type undergrowth, add some leave scatter on top and fix with your adhesive of choice and your got pretty authentic looking bocage.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 - 07:56 PM UTC
looks good . I wonder how it would work for hedgerows ?
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good Tim. Nice product. That kind of stuff has been around for a good while but this looks like a better version of it.
A cheaper thing to use is plain old scrubbing pads that come in all kinds of sizes and shapes,even big ones like for floor polishers/strippers that anyone familiar with th "old army" knows from endlessly cleaning barracks floors.
J

I rode a few buffers in my time ! wouldnt the pads be too hard ?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 - 09:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

J

I rode a few buffers in my time ! wouldnt the pads be too hard ?

Just like the product Tim posted about here,you have to "tweak" it to get more realism out of it. I cut it into a rough shape and then pull it out,etc. It has a bunch of uses. I got 2 outstanding books in England and the guy uses this stuff a lot for model railroads.
J

I could post pics of my Retreat from Stoumont dio where I used the scrubbers to make bushes but those images are on the heretical Photobucket site and I can't access them. If you search back in this forum you could find it if interested.
J

obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 07:42 AM UTC
I found a similar looking material at Wal Mart where they stock A/C filters. Comes in sizes that would last for several dios.
 _GOTOTOP