_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Drybrushing a Black Gun
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 05:48 AM UTC
What's the best way to drybrush a black gun such as (say) a M4A1 carbine?

I normally rub the gun with a graphite pencil. Somehow, I find that's not enough as the pencil doesn't highlight the raised areas like a brush.

I've used white and sometimes find that too stark.

I've read posts where modelers either use pink, blue, or gray as drybrushing colors.

Thanks for the advice.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 05:57 AM UTC
Not exactly "drybrushing" but you might find this an alternative to using a graphite pencil. HTH.
Applying Pigments with a Rubber Brush

—mike

PS: Here's a set of brushes on eBay.
5 Pcs Clay Sculpting Shapers (Silicone tip rubber brushes)
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 06:14 AM UTC
For the metal parts of weapons I use a base coat of Modelmaster gunmetal, then dry brush with aluminum, but I might try that rubber brush method now that I've seen it.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 06:55 AM UTC
I use graphite powder and or a brush or a rubber brush like the video or sometimes a really special tool...my finger
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 07:51 PM UTC
As an alternative, you could paint the gun overall gunmetal mixed with gray, apply a black wash, then use the graphite rub, and, if you want more highlighting, drybrush with gunmetal mixed with silver.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:18 PM UTC
Isn't graphite powder considered "harmful" in that the powder is so fine that it could be blown away and considered "toxic" to breathe?

I can understand using pigments since as kids, most of us were exposed to school chalk dust which pigments is not much different from. However, graphite powder seems to be a different "powdered animal" all together.

Should one seal the graphite powder with a flat coat if used? Should one use a mask when using it?
DocEvan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:48 PM UTC
I just tried this using a pencil eraser, and it works!!!

For drybrushing black, I like to use various shades of grey

Quoted Text

Not exactly "drybrushing" but you might find this an alternative to using a graphite pencil. HTH.
Applying Pigments with a Rubber Brush

—mike

PS: Here's a set of brushes on eBay.
5 Pcs Clay Sculpting Shapers (Silicone tip rubber brushes)

sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Isn't graphite powder considered "harmful" in that the powder is so fine that it could be blown away and considered "toxic" to breathe?

Nope. It's just ground up carbon.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can understand using pigments since as kids, most of us were exposed to school chalk dust which pigments is not much different from. However, graphite powder seems to be a different "powdered animal" all together.

Should one seal the graphite powder with a flat coat if used? Should one use a mask when using it?

the amount of graphite I use is very small and i dont cover in dust the piece but I rub it, there is no dust around, the air of our city or the fart of my dog sitting next to me when i model is more toxic rather than the infinitesimal amount of graphite I use

graphite is naturally oily after you rub it on the piece you do not need to seal it because stick naturally to the piece, you can blow as much as you want

babaoriley
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 02:10 AM UTC
Some artist pigments used in the past contained toxic ingredients like cadmium, cobalt and lead. While many have been replaced with less dangerous products it is still possible to find artist pigments which you really do not want to inhale unless damage to your lungs, liver, kidneys, heart etc. sound like fun. When I inquired at a local art supply store about pigments to use with miniatures the manager advised extreme caution when considering the use of pigments. So read those labels carefully, and if in doubt find another way to achieve the effect you're after on a model.

http://observer.com/2016/10/toxic-art-is-anyone-sure-whats-in-a-tube-of-paint/
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 03:27 AM UTC
I didn't neccessarily mean graphite powder, but using a very soft drawing pencil - 4B or higher. The higher the number, the softer the lead.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 04:41 AM UTC
Can also try graphite power and one of those real small Tamiya cotton swabs.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 06:53 AM UTC
An M4A1 carbine is made from a variety of materials, so care is needed to get an authentic looking replica. The stocks and grip are made of a black plastic. The receiver is anodized aluminum, so a light drybrush of aluminum or silver paint will due nicely. The same is true for any rail systems seen on modern firearms. The barrels are phosphate treated and are more of a dark grey in color. A drybush of a dull silver or a light grey replicate wear realistically.
 _GOTOTOP