_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Pz.III Turret on Pz.I A Chassis
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 08:17 AM UTC
Came across this one, while crawling through my library.
Unfortunately, I do not know its origin. To be honest, I'm surprised the panzer I could propel a panzer III turret.

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 08:22 AM UTC
It may not have been traversable. A cheap jagdepanzer 1. Maybe a training tank.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 08:32 AM UTC
I think it is, in fact for training. The hull mg is missing. Then again, they may not have had enough room for the operator.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 08:34 AM UTC
Are you sure this isn't a photoshop job?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you sure this isn't a photoshop job?

I can't be certain. However, I did notice the color difference, between the turret and hull. This particular photo was not found, in any of the books that I have.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 09:56 AM UTC
The last time I saw the picture it was labeled a turret trainer. They used the obsolete chassis for turret familarization training in a moving vehicle without using an actual tank. Similarly they had turretless hulls for driver training.

Makes as much sense as the US turret trainer of the time which was the gun mount on a platform that two guys would pitch back and forth to simulate a moving tank.

This set up would also be useful to train tank commander and driver coordination. The TC and driver's positions would be as the service vehicle and this would train tank commanders how to direct a driver in the hull from the TC cupola.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The last time I saw the picture it was labeled a turret trainer. They used the obsolete chassis for turret familarization training in a moving vehicle without using an actual tank. Similarly they had turretless hulls for driver training.

Makes as much sense as the US turret trainer of the time which was the gun mount on a platform that two guys would pitch back and forth to simulate a moving tank.

This set up would also be useful to train tank commander and driver coordination. The TC and driver's positions would be as the service vehicle and this would train tank commanders how to direct a driver in the hull from the TC cupola.

Thank you. That was very enlightening. That must have been some serious shoe-horning. BTW - I have a few photos of turretless trainers(III's and IV's of course).
 _GOTOTOP