_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How many Antennas on Merkava IV LIC?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 - 06:38 AM UTC
Hi All,

There was a similar question to this one posted in 2012, which was never answered, so I'm going to try again. On my Academy Merkava Mk. IV LIC tank, there are 6 antenna bases around the rear part of the turret. However, it is not clear, either in the instructions or other references, whether all 6 bases are used to mount antennas at one time, or whether only some are used. Does anyone know if these bases are all used at any time, or are they used only under special conditions? I have all 6 of the ones on my tank sent up to accept antennas. Can I use all 6? If so, what are the length of the attached antennas, and if not, what's the max number of antennas actually used, and the length of them?

Thanks for any information you can provide!
Precious_rob
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 - 07:00 AM UTC
Im not sure the measurements, or the functions of the different antennas, but most of the Mk4's Ive seen reference pics of usually carry about four of them.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 - 10:37 AM UTC
Judging from my photos, most Mk.4 use only 2 antennas, mounted on the turret rear. Some pictures show a third antenna, mounted on the left turret site, these are probably command tanks. As for the length of the antenna rod, the IDF uses the same antenna bases as the US Army. So you can make 3 meters antenna length.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 09:00 AM UTC
Thanks, guys.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 01:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Judging from my photos, most Mk.4 use only 2 antennas, mounted on the turret rear.

Correct. The standard setup is two: a thick, off-white antenna on the rear starboard and a thinner, dark green one on the port. Their height is pretty much the same.

Quoted Text

Some pictures show a third antenna, mounted on the left turret site, these are probably command tanks.

Some non-command tanks (judging by the tactical markings) too seem to equipped be with three (two thick, one thin).

This one seems to be equipped with five antennas (three thick and two thin).

As well as these two.

_GOTOTOP