_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
"Hot Pursuit!" Schwimmwagen diorama.
chazman
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 09:32 AM UTC
Anyone remember this one? I wonder who did it and details of the build? I remember reading about it a looong time ago. The only thing left on the internet are these three pics on Pinterest. Apparently they're cached from the long defunct site they originally appeared on.

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 10:36 AM UTC
That's pretty cool!
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 03:28 PM UTC
Rutmanesque?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 06:25 PM UTC
Thanks for the fist knock Tim but I think this may actually be an older work from Taesung Harms. Before he got into the resin biz?
I could be wrong (and frequently am). Nice work though,lots of drama.
J
chazman
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 08:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the fist knock Tim but I think this may actually be an older work from Taesung Harms. Before he got into the resin biz?
I could be wrong (and frequently am). Nice work though,lots of drama.
J

Very possible!

The officer appears to have a Hornet head.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Armorama: 297 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 09:20 PM UTC
I love the flying hair on the aft figure - it really adds to the drama!
willc453
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 07:42 AM UTC
An alternative for a diorama is having a it and a Weasel crewed by some G.I.'s who are hell bent for leather in trying to capture a couple of wine casks floating down river. Maybe call it: Race for the wine on the Rheine?
Removed by original poster on 10/31/17 - 19:17:42 (GMT).
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:26 AM UTC
First time seeing this one, and it's pleasing to view.
Real nice how all the small details combined greatly help to tell the story:
a flying bucket, the hair, #plate coming undone, pitched and rolling suspension, cranked hard on the front wheels, the GI"s helmet, a beautiful clock maybe getting tagged, and naturally the senior officer looking back at ?
Not to mention the facial expressions.

Well done and something I can remember: sometimes less can be more.

Dave
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 02:29 AM UTC
This is indeed by Taesung Harmms from around 2003

A description from Taesung.........
"This vignette was inspired from a well photograph of KO'd schwimmwagen from 17.SS-Panzergrenadier-Division "Götz von Berlichingen" in France 1944. This is sort of telling a story how the vehicle in the photograph met its end. Tamiya Schwimmwagen kit was dressed up with Aber PE and Jaguar sand tires. However Jaguar sand tires have the hubs sitting too shallow and the width is not thick enough. I fixed the hub issue buy cutting out the hubs and make them sit deep inside. This resulted in the wheels protrude outside which was what I wanted. Figures were made with putty and resin/plastic heads. The car was tilted on one side to illustrate the vehicle in turning motion. I named the vignette "The Getaway Driver."

chazman
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

First time seeing this one, and it's pleasing to view.
Real nice how all the small details combined greatly help to tell the story:
a flying bucket, the hair, #plate coming undone, pitched and rolling suspension, cranked hard on the front wheels, the GI"s helmet, a beautiful clock maybe getting tagged, and naturally the senior officer looking back at ?
Not to mention the facial expressions.

Well done and something I can remember: sometimes less can be more.

Dave

Exactly!

I enjoy looking back at some of these older pieces with great composition, like this one has. It tells a story.

I've been in this hobby off and on for over 4 decades, and although we have all sorts of PE, resin and other high speed accessories we can throw at a vignette or diorama to raise the bar a few notches, I tend to see less and less effective story telling

This nicely composed piece reminds us that the most interesting dioramas tell a captivating story.
chazman
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is indeed by Taesung Harmms from around 2003

A description from Taesung.........
"This vignette was inspired from a well photograph of KO'd schwimmwagen from 17.SS-Panzergrenadier-Division "Götz von Berlichingen" in France 1944. This is sort of telling a story how the vehicle in the photograph met its end. Tamiya Schwimmwagen kit was dressed up with Aber PE and Jaguar sand tires. However Jaguar sand tires have the hubs sitting too shallow and the width is not thick enough. I fixed the hub issue buy cutting out the hubs and make them sit deep inside. This resulted in the wheels protrude outside which was what I wanted. Figures were made with putty and resin/plastic heads. The car was tilted on one side to illustrate the vehicle in turning motion. I named the vignette "The Getaway Driver."

Thanks!
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 04:43 AM UTC
Superbly done scene, plus it captures a bit of actual history. willc453 mentioned an alternative, which reminded me of a similar one shown in Military Modeler many moons ago. It has a jeep with 3 boozed-up GI's careening around a city street corner, splashing thru rain puddles, after soaking some poor 2nd Lt with a splash. The GI in the back was nearly falling out while trying to hang on to bottles/crates of "liberated" booze. The jeep is leaning heavily to one side & the tires even had splashes under/around them. Really great & funny scene, but can't recall who built it or what issue of the magazine had it featured.
chazman
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Superbly done scene, plus it captures a bit of actual history. willc453 mentioned an alternative, which reminded me of a similar one shown in Military Modeler many moons ago. It has a jeep with 3 boozed-up GI's careening around a city street corner, splashing thru rain puddles, after soaking some poor 2nd Lt with a splash. The GI in the back was nearly falling out while trying to hang on to bottles/crates of "liberated" booze. The jeep is leaning heavily to one side & the tires even had splashes under/around them. Really great & funny scene, but can't recall who built it or what issue of the magazine had it featured.

Yes! By Bruce MacRae from the '70's. I loved that one! Here's a thread I started on it from a few years ago. Unfortunately, Photosucksit is holding the pictures hostage.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/215051#1807139
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 05:22 PM UTC
very good job
chazman
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 01:40 AM UTC
Bruce MacRae's Wine Tasters. They were cached on Google.

_GOTOTOP