Hosted by Darren Baker
M48 question
sm2usn
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 12:54 AM UTC
I've got a newbie question about the various M48 Patton models available. I have the old Tamiya model, but I'm curious where it fits in with the newer Dragon kits--the M48A3 and the Mod. B? Is the Tamiya M48A3 fairly identical to the Dragon M48A3? Is the Dragon kit a decent improvement on the Tamiya offering? Thanks for any assistance...

Jim
Cookiescool2
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hey Jim!
The Tamiya model can be made decent with some improvements, but the main issue is that the company made the suspension ride too high. If you'd like to try to remedy some of the issues Paul Budzik made a great article on it. http://paulbudzik.com/tools-techniques/M48/m48-construction.html

In regards to the Dragon kit, their M48 is much more accurate in terms of scale and dimensions, and was essentially the improvement to the Tamiya kit that many people have been waiting a long time for.

-Alan
sm2usn
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 06:35 PM UTC
Thanks, Alan. That's what I was curious about--now I just have to see if I can find a Dragon M48
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 08:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Alan. That's what I was curious about--now I just have to see if I can find a Dragon M48

I used the Dragon Magach 1+2 as it has all the parts from their previous kits included. You will just need to source the right decals.

It was also cheaper from my FLHS than the older Dragon m48 kits for some reason.
sm2usn
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 08:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I used the Dragon Magach 1+2 as it has all the parts from their previous kits included. You will just need to source the right decals.

It was also cheaper from my FLHS than the older Dragon m48 kits for some reason.

Thanks, Rory. From looking at the box illustration, though, isn't the 1/2 an A1? Are you saying that parts are in the box to build an M48A3? If so, that's my solution.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP