_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Isis
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 01:34 AM UTC
Though I would like more ATO/Modern Ukrainian figures, in 35 scale; something else has come to my attention. Why are there no 35 scale figures representing ISIS? We have Arabs and insurgents, but nothing depicting a major conflict. These would pair nicely, with the many available figures combating the terrorist organization.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 03:03 AM UTC
If you want the ISIS fighter troops any figurines better with the beard but also without is ok, then just add a bit of epoxy for the black headband and there's it is...
Whiskey_1
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 03:14 AM UTC
Firstly I think the issue is that people are not that picky when it comes to insurgent forces. Their gear is pretty variable anyway so for most modellers, it's not that important what the insurgent you pair with the technical looks like. And yeah,if you want them to specifically be ISIS, it is probably more difficult to paint the arabic lettering on than to add a headband or a facemask and paint some of the clothing black.
Also, the market for such figures may not be big enough for someone to warrant investing in design and tooling to produce them. If the assumption is that you won't make back the development cost, the incentive to invest that cost diminishes rapidly.
Jack_Turmoil
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 03:24 AM UTC
I think you can get away with a bit in regard to the appearance. The balaclava is not always worn. However....You might be able to use heads from either the DML SAS set or the LA SWAT set. I'd agree as far as needing figures with beards, depending on how they are depicted. The Master Box "Somewhere in the Middle East" and "Iraq Insurgents" sets might be a good starting point. I think the reason no sane manufacturers have touched the subject, is because ISIS is really hated, to say the least. Poor choice of box art might seem to glorify them. I'd buy a set of dead ISIS figures, though. I believe someone makes scale flags, as well. The thought of this is all a bit disturbing. Best of luck?
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 07:54 AM UTC
Check Parcel Resin figures....you will find what your looking for....
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 11:05 AM UTC
You may check Paracel Mideast figures reviews.
best regards
Engin
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 12:26 PM UTC
The Paracel figures are perfect.
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 02:36 PM UTC
It is always proper to call these fools SIS or SISI and not another name .Also if I was going to want some of these figures,I would want them in a KIA position,nothing else.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 04:05 PM UTC
Casualties are good and fine, but how much worse are they than German SS?
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 05:10 PM UTC
Good point, but the SS was an actual official military body rather than a terrorist organisation. Its a subtle difference of course because they committed numerous atrocities, more than most other official military bodies in WW2 but they were still actual recognised national military. You could use the same argument for the Japanese Army which committed acts of extreme cruelty too.

Terrorists are a different thing altogether.

I see your point but there is a difference.

War is hell as they say.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 05:31 PM UTC
Though a bit off topic:
Without trying to create any excuse for the ww2 attrocities it needs to be emphasized that there are official records which state the refusal of SS units to take part in ethnic cleansing activities, next to clear evidence that Wehrmacht units have went far beyond the international rules of war on both their military opponents as also to the inhabitants of the occupied countries. A good book about this is the “M Room”.
To ISIS, one can wonder why these should not be there as models. A friend or allie to one person is an enemy to the other. And by depicting a diorama with ISIS members most, if not all, modelers try to recreate a (historical) event, not a woreship to extremists. At the end of the day all (model) soldiers have been the worst to encounter for somebody in history, maybe ISIS is just too recent. We got ‘used’ to SS soldiers, Vietcong members, amongst many others.......
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 05:31 PM UTC
Question...
wath's the difference between,terrorist,partisan,gurriglia,freedom figther or revolutionary....same same but different?... ...just a poit of viev?..
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:40 PM UTC
I wonder if producing decals or box artwork containing the ISIS 'logo' would not perhaps be illegal? I know their flag, such as it is, is banned in some countries (for good reason).
Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 02:20 AM UTC
Terrorists use fear to get their (often backwards) views forward.
Partisans are groups of people from occupied countries who resist the occupying nation's rule.
Revolutionaries are people who try to overthrow their leaders.
Guerillas are groups who attack enemy armies in small numbers but avoiding open battle.
Freedom fighters are groups who overthrow an occupying nation's rule.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 04:23 AM UTC
IMHO, you should only model/display ISIS personnel mandatorily deceased.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 06:43 AM UTC
So, we ignore ISIS, because it is too despised? Which was hated more, Hitler or a terrorist organization? Did Hitler not order the formation of the Gestapo? Or Stalin's purges(secret police)? I'm not attempting to promote terrorism, but rather depict a very important, modern conflict.
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 01:35 PM UTC
I don't think it is how much we despise ISIS that prevents model manufacturers from making figures of these idiots but rather maybe model manufacturers just don't see a big enough market for ISIS figures than there is for SS or Nazi figures...the business is after all driven by the need to make a profit and mould making is a very expensive exercise and needs to generate a significant return on the outlay so if there is not a big enough market for a particular subject then it won't make financial sense to make it in the first place.

I think when 3D printing really becomes accessible the frustration of not being able to find exactly what youre looking for might end.

Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 03:44 AM UTC
The SS whilst awful, is a part of the world's history and should be represented, but IS is still too modern and as we all agree, far too hated for a company to bother releasing anything to do with them.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 05:59 PM UTC
I think the issue is that this group is current and still functioning and so causes strong views in people.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want the ISIS fighter troops any figurines better with the beard but also without is ok, then just add a bit of epoxy for the black headband and there's it is...

And that's why there are no specific figures. There's no need of them considering how generically they typically dress. Maybe some decals for the Arabic slogans and that's it.

The same thing is basically true if you want to depict the Mahdi army from the late 19th century. There are a handful of sets labeled that but mostly it's figures of the constituent tribes. The same for ISIS. There are various sets depicting the group's one usually sees in an ISIS army.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 06:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And that's why there are no specific figures. There's no need of them considering how generically they typically dress. Maybe some decals for the Arabic slogans and that's it.

The same thing is basically true if you want to depict the Mahdi army from the late 19th century. There are a handful of sets labeled that but mostly it's figures of the constituent tribes. The same for ISIS. There are various sets depicting the group's one usually sees in an ISIS army.

About the only thing that would make modeling a scene from the Middle East that features an ISIS terrorist would be their version of their 'flag'. Other than that, most photos I see show no badging, rank, or uniformity, (just black colored clothing and tennis shoes). Scratch build a keffiyeh (headdress) on a figure already wearing sneakers. Done!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 08:03 PM UTC
My initial thought was a US patrol ambushed, during OIF. That morphed, into the same scenario, but as a modern conflict. I believe I can water it down enough to dodge any glorification of the terrorist organization. We have all of these modern vehicles and nothing to stage them against. I will look into Meng's Hilux, with Arabs to represent the current threat to US servicemen and women deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. Due to policies of the current administration; little is shown of what is actually going on, in that theater of operations. The ISIS fighters would be shown as losing the battle, without showing enough heroism to validate them as martyrs. The effect I'm aiming for is to show coalition forces resoundingly defeating their opponents. This is just the planning phase. I have other things to move off my bench, first(maybe four months worth of work).
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 12:23 AM UTC
How about those sad pictures of ISIS operating American HUMVEES captured from Iraqi forces,pretty galling,and also a lot of captured Syrian/Russian vehicles.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 02:29 AM UTC
I hope some of you find these links helpful. I have more pics on my hard drive, but can no longer post them here.

http://spioenkop.blogspot.com/2014/11/vehicles-and-equipment-captured.html

http://spioenkop.blogspot.com/2014/11/vehicles-and-equipment-captured-and.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3253113/From-Afghani-robe-suicide-bomber-s-black-uniform-ISIS-differentiates-ranks-various-outfits.html

Have any of you ever seen pics of ISIS military ambulances? Is there an ISIS Red Crescent? Just curious.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 - 03:41 AM UTC
I have Academy's M998, with the Eduard set for the Italeri M1027(which fits for the most part). This was the thinking, on a captured vehicle. The fly in the buttermilk is, it wouldn't be much of an ambush; if a piece of captured, military hardware was parked out front.
 _GOTOTOP