_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Best way to paint Dragon DS track so it won't
phantom8747
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 07:08 PM UTC
disintegrate on me. Can you use enamel p[aint from Model Master? Thanks.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 07:15 PM UTC
You should search the for "ds track painting".
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

disintegrate on me. Can you use enamel p[aint from Model Master? Thanks.

I send them to someone who likes the DS-tracks and then I buy some kind of aftermarket tracks, which type depends on price, quality and how much more I feel like spending on that model.
If the tracks disintegrate on the new owner it isn't my problem

/ Don't want to get bad surprises later

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 08:41 PM UTC
You should be okay with acrylics,same with washes,avoid enamel.Their right,their not tje best option though,unless its something with a tight track lime a Sherman or a m47,48,60,you probably want to consider a replacement track,there are lots of indie links out there,resin,oladtic,and metal.But of course not everyone wants to spend extra,so in that case stick with acrylics.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 02:53 AM UTC
"DS" what does it mean ? Flexible black tracks present in a lot of kits are also "DS" ?
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 03:01 AM UTC
I recently did a Sherman Firefly from Dragon which had the DS Tracks, I used Vallejo Grey Surface Primer, and their Tracks Primer (Panzer Aces #304) (both acrylic paint) all airbrushed on, without a problem. Some of the paint did come off a little in some places when I was weathering the tracks, but that was mainly due to using a stiff brush trying to blend in pigments, but it was easily fixed by touching up the tracks with some more paint. I would advise washing the tracks in warm soapy water, and rinsing before applying paint. Hope this helps!
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 03:20 AM UTC
"DS" or "Dragon Styrene" is their brand name for vinyl tracks that are a mix with styrene glue-able plastic. They can be unstable (lots of forum threads complaining about "sweaty" tracks that go brittle and break up), and definitely react badly to solvent-based paints and washes, so don't use enamel on them!

I lightly airbrush mine with thinned Tamiya acrylics, and then use washes made from Vallejo acrylics and dry-brushing from the same - so far mine have held up well enough.

But I agree with the others regarding replacement with better AM tracks...
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 04:03 AM UTC
The best method for handling DS tracks is to use other tracks, haha.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 02:25 PM UTC
I have used acrylics and no problem so far (they are some 3 years old or so)
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 10:15 PM UTC
Tom thank you for your answer. I have an Abrams kit from Dragon so recommendations will be useful.
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 02:24 AM UTC
I honestly don't understand why good model manufacturers like Dragon still insist on providing rubber/DS tracks instead of individual link tracks.

I'd happily pay a few dollars more and get decent kit parts to make individual link tracks like Dragon used to supply in the form of their 'magic tracks'.
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 03:30 AM UTC
Tamiya sprays, either Flat, NATO, or Rubber Black work. I usually let the paint dry a few days before weathering with either enamels or acrylics. I have a Dragon Tiger I and Tiger II I built 4 years ago and the tracks are in the same shape as when the kits were first built. They also work well on vinyl tracks.
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 04:04 AM UTC
I wash my DS track in Isopropyl alcohol to clean/degrease them, then I've had great success using Vallejo Black Surface Primer...spraying 3-5 light coats for complete coverage (it was on the T97E2 track in the M103A1)...then let it dry for 24 hrs. After that, I've been able to spray either Vallejo, Mig, or Tamiya acrylics over that, as well as mask it, and have never had any issues with the paint flaking off, or being scraped off. It takes Vallejo Washes very well, as well as drybrushing. I did use the T54E1 track in their M4A2 Tarawa kits, and used the same wash and primer prep, followed by extensive metallic drybrushings and washes, and those have held up in the same great way as well...
Good luck!
Rod
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I honestly don't understand why good model manufacturers like Dragon still insist on providing rubber/DS tracks instead of individual link tracks.

I'd happily pay a few dollars more and get decent kit parts to make individual link tracks like Dragon used to supply in the form of their 'magic tracks'.

Perhaps their market research shows that many of their customers (maybe even the majority?) don't want to pay more and don't want to spend additional hours gluing together hundreds of track links.

IMO individual links are justified when the vehicle being modelled used a dead track where slack will be visible. But with live track vehicles a well done vinyl track can look pretty good. Of course anyone who prefers the greatest number of pieces possible in a kit and the finest detail their eyes and fingers can create are free to invest all the money and time they please on tracks, it's a matter of personal preference.

A big thumbs up to everyone who pointed out that careful cleaning of rubber-band tracks can make a huge difference on how well the paint sticks.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 05:38 AM UTC
Just use acrylic paint, do not use Dull coat as a sealer.
Should not be a problem.
I have some from 12 years still all good,painted in Acrylic.
Or if you want to try shoot a coat of acrylic clear on it might help if you use an Oil Wash.

Cheers

Jeff
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Strange how they stopped the magic tracks back in early 2000's.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree, throw them out, buy a set of MasterClub. Problem solved!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Perhaps he has a modeling budget,I hate to use AM tracks on all my builds.So sometimes you have to make do with what you can.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 11:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Perhaps he has a modeling budget,I hate to use AM tracks on all my builds.So sometimes you have to make do with what you can.

Agreed here. I have such limited modeling time anymore that I rarely want to spend what time I have piecing together multi-part-per-link indie tracks, no matter how nice they look when done. I save that kind of energy for Friul or SpadeAce 1-piece links on models that need to show track sag. For Shermans and other tanks that have live tracks, one-piece works for me. Most modern kits that still contain 1-piece tracks, like Tamiya and Dragon, have pretty good tracks in the box.
Back to the original reason for the post, I use acrylics on DS tracks that have been cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, no issues with breakage.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I do agree with you, unfortunately I have heard and seen to many horror stories with DS track, especially the finer German tracks. While they can be painted, it seems over time they deteriorate and start to to come apart.

As the tracks are a form of plastic, they can be painted with acrylics.

Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 04:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I do agree with you, unfortunately I have heard and seen to many horror stories with DS track, especially the finer German tracks. While they can be painted, it seems over time they deteriorate and start to to come apart.

As the tracks are a form of plastic, they can be painted with acrylics.

This is the only one of 7 DS builds that screwed me,in fact its from your Panther Campaign some years ago

seabee1526
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 185 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 09:57 PM UTC
Cookie Sewell loves them.

Cookie Sewell's Armory - Armor Kit Reviews for 2007 ..... Disadvantages: kit does not come with DS tracks, which will disappoint a few modelers.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 04:02 AM UTC
lol i prime mine with auto based enamel..taken from the air can transferred to an airbrush...then acrylic top coat & water based washes...no problems...ever.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 05:26 PM UTC
Ive never had a problem with them !!
 _GOTOTOP