_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Sealing Pigments
B2Blain
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 05:08 AM UTC
I have never used pigments to weather AFV models. My understanding is that they are water soluble and you should avoid washing the model once they are applied.

I do not have a case for my models and I occasionally wipe them down with a wet towel. Is there anything I can do to seal in the pigments like an overspray of flat coat?

Thanks,
Blain
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 05:59 AM UTC
Pigment fixer. Specific product that can be applied by AB and seals pigments in place.

Gary
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have never used pigments to weather AFV models. My understanding is that they are water soluble and you should avoid washing the model once they are applied.

I do not have a case for my models and I occasionally wipe them down with a wet towel. Is there anything I can do to seal in the pigments like an overspray of flat coat?

Thanks,
Blain

https://ak-interactive.com/product/pigment-fixer/

I've used this. I'm not interested in having loose pigments on my models, but people who win big model contests are known to do such things so what do I know? Among other things, some pigments contain ingredients you won't want to inhale.

There might be a better way to keep dust off your models, e.g. a photographer's lens cleaning brush such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lautechco-Convinient-Multifunction-Cleaning-Cleaner/dp/B01MQRBOVX/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1510626233&sr=8-22&keywords=lens+brush

I've decided some plexiglass display cases are in order, things just get too dusty around here, LOL.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 08:07 AM UTC
it is probably best to start from the base, pigments are the basis of any paint,so they are soluble o can be mixed with "everything", water, turps, white spirits, alcohol ... etc ... virtually any liquid used as a thinner could be used with pigments, each reacts slightly differently, in theory they are mixable with any liquid or paste ... even with butter if you want

I personally use most of the time pigment fixer and I'm fine, but i try also alcohol, Humbrol decalfix, various varnish types, added to the paint,dry brushes, everything depends on the effect you want to accive, if you search in the forum you find lots of discussions about it or videos on youtube.

To fix them you can shoot with the AB a slight mist of your favorite product or brush using the capillarity and their absorbing power ... you should do a lot of tests before doing it on your favorite model,use the pigments it is usually the latest job,after fixing it is better not to touch them or to do it as gently as possible, however forget to use a wet cloth to clean the models if they have the pigments, it could make a mess use a soft brush ... very soft
Taylortony
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 06:11 PM UTC
I seal mine with a light coat of Humbrol matt varnish out of a rattle can, though they can fade when done.
timcc2008
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 06:52 PM UTC
I always seal my model with a flat coat before I put the pigments on. Then I use pigment fixer (or Mona Lisa Odorless Mineral Spirits) to seal the pigments in place.

vr

Tim
B2Blain
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 12:49 AM UTC
Thank you all for your suggestions. I was wondering about sealing with a dull coat. But I read somewhere that pigment "disappear" when a sealing coat is applied.

Or does it depend on the thickness of the pigments? I am doing an Abrams from OIF. It seems the dust build up inside the road wheels was light. I am wondering whether dry brushing and washes might be a better alternative.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 01:47 AM UTC
the coat of varnish change the way the light hits the model and can "kill" some effects like lights and shadows,especially if is thick, it's not a problem how much pigment the problem is the next layer, I use only the pigmentfixer or things like that,I always try to use less varnish possible, also because in my opinion many times is simply useless, if the base color is enamel i do a light clear cote satin but if the base is acrylic I use only where I put the decals, then matt or satin over the decals that's the end, varnish or future is no longer seen on my model ... because it's useless IMHO
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 - 09:42 AM UTC
This is a video that I totally agree with. When I got back into modeling I keep seeing this sealer coats being done and have always disagreed with it. Go to 33:18 and listen to this explanation, although many disagree with it on this site. Still a good video for you to watch from the very beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h2h4iM-uJs
 _GOTOTOP