Hosted by Darren Baker
Paint color for NVA vehicles
sm2usn
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 10:15 AM UTC
Can anyone suggest a readily available enamel or acrylic brush paint color that would be correct for North Vietnamese vehicles of the Vietnam war? I don't have an airbrush, so it will need to be paint that brushes well. Thanks!
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 10:49 PM UTC
Hi Jim;

Russian Armor Green !!!--Then fade to A liter green.
And for Painting with A Brush use Acryl's and thin with Water. Always Test on the Underside of the Hull first to see how good the coverage is.

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
sm2usn
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 11:17 PM UTC
Thanks, Mike. That's what I've always understood to be the appropriate color, but lately I've seen photos in which the color looks darker, more of a green gray. So any advice helps!

Jim
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 09:30 AM UTC
I go with a Chi Com green or the grey they often used. I've seen grey colored trucks south of DaNang and out by LZ Ross.
gary
sm2usn
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 09:29 PM UTC
Thanks, Miss Fit. Would chi com green be roughly the same as Soviet armor green?

Sounds like you covered a lot of ground over there, and saw a lot. All I saw was the muddy Mekong.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 10:11 PM UTC
Here's a GAZ-63 captured by the 1st Air Calvary Division in the A Shau Valley in early 1968.:

Looks rather blueish to me...Contrary to this one captured in July :

H.P.
sm2usn
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2017 - 08:51 AM UTC
Thanks, Frenchy. Interesting photos! But--now I really don't what color to use . I imagine the color in the photos has been affected by age and the film used, but the blue tint is hard to explain.

The 1st Cav really knows how to take a prisoner, doesn't it?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2017 - 01:37 PM UTC
The blue truck is in civilian paint not military colors.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2017 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Miss Fit. Would chi com green be roughly the same as Soviet armor green?

Sounds like you covered a lot of ground over there, and saw a lot. All I saw was the muddy Mekong.

Greetings from I-Corp, and welcome home brother!

Believe it or not, I never waded a rice paddy, but waded a few too many streams. Up north we had a term for this time of year. We called it "general mud."

Regarding my post. I've seen trucks, elephants, bicycles, and just about anything that could carry something at one time or another. The green was a very dull forest green, or a medium grey color. Have seen both in use. Of course there was the other color that was preferred. It was burnt brown.

Sometime I'll tell you about the first truck I saw out by LZ Ross

gary
WarrenD
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2017 - 06:38 PM UTC
Just a quick note regarding colors in old photos. Reds usually fade first, followed by yellows. Especially true of the Ektachromes of the 50's thru the 70's. Inaccurate field processing can only add to the decline. This fading leaves a cyan tint (blue with a hint of green).
As for paints, greens loose their red and yellow components in the sun so paint will take on that same cyan tint after a while. Modern paints on cars have more aggressive UV protection but I still remember the red cars of the 60's that faded to some awful shades of pink in just a few years.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2017 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...I still remember the red cars of the 60's that faded to some awful shades of pink in just a few years.

Not only from the 60's, red Volvos from the mid-late 70's, maybe as late as the early 80's, also faded to reddish pink.
That's about the only time when I have seen real 1:1 examples of the popular panel fading method (every painted sheet of metal fades faster in the center than out at the edges).
/ Robin
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 02:14 AM UTC
Every horizontal surface of my family's nominally red 76 Chev Nova faded to a dusty pink that, if burnished with a fingernail, revealed the red under the oxidised top layer. You could actually buff the oxidised layer away if waxing the car, but it would re-oxidise leaving a wonderfully "tie-dyed" surface that changed every time you washed the car.

Appalling paint.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can anyone suggest a readily available enamel or acrylic brush paint color that would be correct for North Vietnamese vehicles of the Vietnam war? I don't have an airbrush, so it will need to be paint that brushes well. Thanks!

Can't trust old color photos. Apart from the variations in printing and the varying reproduction of color computer monitors, Kodak, Fuji and other color film was sold with "indoor" or "outdoor" color balances. Outdoor light has much more blue, and indoor light more yellow, so the films was tweaked to adjust. If you photographed olive drab paint outdoors with "indoor" film, it came out blue. I have plenty of shots from Aberdeen like that.
 _GOTOTOP