_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Best magazine
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi folks, With the demise of Military Modeling in Review (MMIR) - my favorite magazine on military modeling, I’m looking for a new favorite to subscribe to. Which is the best? I’m looking for news, reviews and techniques, with quality pics.
My focus is on 1/35 armor, dioramas and also figures (of all ages and scales).
Preferably monthly and in English.
Your opinions would be appreciated.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 - 11:29 PM UTC
Here are some very good options for you to explore.

AFV Modeller
Military Illustrated Modeller
Model Military International
Abrams Squad
Military Modelling
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hi ...

Without a doubt, the best UK-based military modelling magazine is 'Military Modelcraft International' (published by Guideline Publications, edited by David Grummitt). The content is well-balanced (though generally focused on AFV and softskin subjects), and covers most periods from WWI to the present day. In addition to the selection of well-written articles, the magazine regularly features up-to-date kit/product reviews, and various manufacturer advertisements. Another plus, the magazine is printed on high-quality paper, which really does justice to the full-colour images.
I have followed the development of most of the modelling titles over the years, and can highly recommend this one.
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 01:33 AM UTC
Although a little pricey to get stateside, my favorite is Model Military International.
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 08:18 AM UTC
Ralph, another option if price is an issue is digital copies. I used to buy Model Military International at the book store. Current price is about $11.50! Back issues are half that in print but shipping ups that a bit. My current subscription is less than $40 for 12 issues in digital format. I can view copies on my computer, phone or Kindle. The photo quality is phenomenal. I also get MENG AFV occasionally. They are both available from Pocketmags on their app. Military Modelcraft International is also availab!e digitally on the Magzter website. Their quality is very good as well. Pocketmags lets you download your issues into a device as well. I have all of my magazines available that way. I can read them anywhere I want, with or without an internet connection. I have even saved pdf copies of my Pocketmags magazines on my computer so I can read them anytime I want there as well. Just letting you know there are some lower cost alternatives out there for some too notch magazines.

Regards,

Eric
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 02:42 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I’ll look into those.
Eric, I like the digital idea (I’ve already converted to Kindle for my much of my reading) and love the PDF idea to maintain back issues.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 04:16 AM UTC
Need info on subscription refund for MMIR...if even possible to get
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 09:39 AM UTC
Was there a formal announcement of MMiR going under?
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 11:39 AM UTC
Some back issues of MMIR are still available:

https://daviddoylebooks.com/mmir/

Sprue Bros. also has some back issues of MMIR at discounted prices, actually they're on sale even cheaper this weekend along with Tankograd titles.
 _GOTOTOP