_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Why do figures not come with decals?
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 05:00 PM UTC
Hi all.

Something I've always wondered is why the vast majority of figure sets, both plastic and resin, don't come with any decals?

It seems crazy to me because firstly unit and rank badges are absolutely tiny and are extremely hard to paint, and secondly almost every other type of model kit (ships, tanks, aircraft) comes with decals so why do figure models as a rule not include decals?

I've noticed that in their latest releases Tamiya is starting to include decals for unit and rank but they are about the only ones!
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 05:31 PM UTC
Let be honest, in general kit manufacturers are not good with decals when done in house. From the research, color, registration and then the actual quality of the decal its self. Too thick, carrier film etc. The other model types you listed have them because they are need for general sales as most of these sales are for people who enjoy the basic aspects of the hobby (nothing wrong with that, everyone can enjoy how they wish, some ways that is best way - no AMS, aftermaket resin, PE back on topic). For the most part I view figures as a more advance aspect of modeling. It can be one of the most challenging parts of the hobby, everyone including grandma knows if looks right or not and most people don't do it right. Makes sense to leave the decals to a third party vendor like Archer, etc. who make a product better and more suited to the customer.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:16 PM UTC
Archer transfers are great, but when it comes to applying to an undulating surface like clothing with folds and wrinkles, can be a tricky experience. And when you want a complete set of insignia you need to buy a unit insignia sheet, a rank insignia sheet, etc. This is especially true when completing Wehrmacht figures where 3 or 4 different sheets are required. Tamiya makes some large water-slide decal sheets for Heer/SS with mixed insigna's which will outfit several figures. Their quality is very good.
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:09 PM UTC
Agreed that most of us use aftermarket decals and that most kit decals are sub-standard but it is very difficult to get hold of these aftermarket sets too...the Tamiya one as mentioned is very good indeed as are the Alliance Modelworks ones. I really don't like working with dry transfers like Archer,for the reasons given.

The newest Tamiya figure kits have absolutely outstanding decals printed by Cartograf and are a pleasure to work with.

It would be nice though if there were good quality decals included in more figure kits.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:29 PM UTC
Tamiya, Bronco include decals to put on uniforms.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi Mike,
I remember old Esci and Tamiya kits had rank and insignia decals inside years ago.
BRAVO-6 US Infantry Vietnam figures include a big decal sheet.

best regards
Engin
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:01 PM UTC
Thanks Engin. That's interesting...Tamiya must have decided to resume that practice then. The kit decals in their US Tank Crew and Wehrmacht Tank Crew new releases are just brilliant!

Randomly, Dragon included unit decals in only one of their figure releases, the Georgian Legion Wehrmacht set. These patcges were very good too.Neverseen any other patches in any Dragon kits apart from that.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:18 PM UTC
I hear what your saying about dry transfers. With Archer you can make them a decal too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tHlBDQmv1pI
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hear what your saying about dry transfers. With Archer you can make them a decal too.

Very true, but that's an extra step to take, then you have to cut out the decal as close to the ink as possible. And you still have to buy multiple insignia sets to properly outfit the average figure. Sheets like Tamiya's are like "one stop shopping". Still, Archer transfers are high quality - I have dozens of sheets for German, US, and British figures!
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 03:13 PM UTC
I've recently ordered the Passion Models U.S.Army WW2 decal set. It seems to be the ONLY source of WW2 helmet sized unit markings for regular Infantry divisions like the 29th and 1st Infantry. Seems crazy how difficult it is to find these since there are so many 1:35 U.S. figures produced and certainly from D-Day onwards most units had a smaller version of their unit patch painted on their helmets.

The Alliance Modelworks set has unit markings in the form of shoulder patches but nothing the appropriate size for helmets.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 04:26 PM UTC
Going way back the Airfix multi pose figures included rank insignia decals. Miniart larger scale figures include decals.

Some metal figures have decals for heraldry and shield designs. Decals for wargaming figures have a long history.

Too bad my ALPS printer died as I could print some for myself. I do stickers for my 1/6th and they come out good. Back when the ALPS was working I was doing 1/350 airplane decals so 1/35 rank insignia would come out okay printed from vector artwork.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 04:59 PM UTC
Money
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 08:26 PM UTC
I'd happily pay a few bucks more if decent decals were included.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd happily pay a few bucks more if decent decals were included.

I agree with that,who can paint those insignia,not me.
 _GOTOTOP