_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Detail question on Land Rover Snatch
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:24 PM UTC
Hello, I use a reference pic for my model and I have a question about this picture.

Do the coloured strips at the top of the windscreen mean something as those are not present on all vehicles ?

https://www.google.fr/search?q=land+rover+snatch+alamy&client=tablet-android-samsung&tbm=isch&prmd=inv&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq1_GWz9zXAhXCVxQKHUtHC9oQ_AUICSgB&biw=1280&bih=800&dpr=1#imgrc=NmNbl48kPqDdcM:
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:30 PM UTC
It looks like reflective tape - you can see it on other vehicles but it is not universally applied.

Regards,
John
terminators
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 12:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks like reflective tape - you can see it on other vehicles but it is not universally applied.

Regards,
John

Thank you John, can I ask you the function of it ?
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 02:07 AM UTC
I suspect it is for night-time convoy/distance keeping but I wouldn't like to gurarantee that.

John
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 04:03 AM UTC
I believe it is a copy of nautical practice, where many civilian ships and boats have dayglo red strips across the tops of the fronts of their wheelhouses. These were introduced after a number of collisions as an aid to visibility. Quite what purpose it serves on a vehicle is unclear. Perhaps a quick visual reference about which way it is facing. It is completely unofficial. It may be a local tac marking of some sort, but it certainly draws attention. Not necessarily a good move.

Convoy station-keeping is always the responsibility of the following vehicle, which is why convoy lights are at the back. Daylglo tape is retro-reflective: it needs a white light source to reflect. Shining a white light back in the following driver's face to see if he's still there is not a good plan.
sabreuk
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 05:30 AM UTC
the orange reflective strip started as a unit thing then become adopted to be a quick friendly vehicle i.d for ground troops similar in use to the vehicle identification panels and flags etc from air identification. however not all units stick the scotchcal tape on.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 11:14 PM UTC
Ok thank you for your answer John, Peter and Craig
 _GOTOTOP