1/72 AFV
sussexguy
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 09:43 PM UTC
Hi All,
For space and price reasons, I am thinking of switching to 1/72 scale Armour, A French company called Model Miniature seem to have a lot of my area of interest, Not having much experience of Resin kits, are they any good?

Thanks
Mark
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 370 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 10:40 PM UTC
From my own personal experience. I ordered a couple of ZU-23-2 sets from them. The delivery was fast but that was the only positive thing I can comment about my experience. The models were pretty bad. I was hoping to make a couple of technicals using their ZU-23-2 kits but they are really bad quality. There are air bubbles everywhere (I wondered how mine passed their quality control?), the details where very minimal. The kits are barely useable even for spares. Was very disappointed. I even sent them an email about it but I did not get any reply. In my opinion, if they can't get the details on a small model like an anti-aircraft gun, how much worse would complete sets be? I've not placed any orders afterwards. I don't know what experience other people had, but as I said, this is mine. I hope others had a better experience.

As far as 1/72 AFVs are concerned, I would recommend Balaton Models, OKB Grigorov (amazing details) and W Models. The kits they offer are amazing and they all have great customer service.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 11:03 PM UTC
You might try Flyhawk plastic kits. They have a 1/72 Abrams: https://trmreviewconnect.wordpress.com/2017/06/14/flyhawk-models-m1a2-sep-main-battle-tank/
Moderately priced with PE. Flyhawk kits are very good.

Bigred69
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 290 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:25 AM UTC
Don't forget Model Collect, they produce, WW2 German Paper Panzers, Russian tanks after WW2, Russian Trucks and missile launchers, and American Patriot, Pershing, and GLCM missile launchers, and others. Take a look.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:55 AM UTC
All I can say about Model Miniature is that giving a close look to some of the built kits pics on their website may spare you some future disappointment...

H.P.
Geester
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 02:58 AM UTC
Try "Henk of Holland" the website carries just about every model available at 76th & 72nd scales with a lot of reviews!
sussexguy
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 03:05 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I will wait for a show and see if I can see some built models from various manufacturers, I will miss 1/35 though!!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 03:46 AM UTC
As someone already suggested there is the Henk of Holland site. He has numerous pictures of the kits by numerous manufacturers including parts, built but unpainted and even finished. It by far is one of the best places to get an idea about quality. May I also add that Flyhawk, Model Collect, Zvezda and even Revell produce some fairly high quality 1/72 modern subjects.

Cheers,
Jan
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 370 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 03:59 AM UTC
I am working on a combination PTS-M and a BS-3.
Here is a picture of my WIP. Hope this inspires you to build 1/72 stuff.

Ditto on the quality of Modelcollect. They are the tops out there in quality modern topics.
panzerIV
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 781 posts
Armorama: 676 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 05:21 AM UTC
Ive bought a panhard vbl from model-miniature which from inspection & washing there were no air bubbles there are some nice details for such a small size. Though it is yet to be built ha. Though ive ordered quite a few kits from balaton models they do trucks tracked vehicles odd armour but i will recomend they are from hungary and theybarive within 5 days of ordering and the kits are very well detailed. Ove currently got the american hemmt m1070 trucks and the us dr9 dozer
panzerIV
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 781 posts
Armorama: 676 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 05:22 AM UTC
www.balatonmodellshop.co.uk/spl/744737,2/AFVs-vehic

Link for balaton models
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 05:32 AM UTC
Flyhawk kits are great you can build them OOP, very beautiful and crisp details, and you build "Tamiya" style, no gaps, no need of putty etc ...
 _GOTOTOP