_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panther SD KFZ171 - My First
SFC_StJohn
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 10:52 AM UTC
Please take a look in my gallery at the Panther that I just finished, this is my first real attempt at airbrushing & finishing a German tank. Please keep in mind that I am not a stickler for ensuring accuracy, I just really like to build armor. Any and all criticism is greatly welcome, this is the only way that I'll become a better builder. Thanks in advance for the words of wisdom.

Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 11:27 AM UTC
Hi Bruce!
I think I'm in the same catagory as you put yourself in, i.e. I don't always build 100% accurately, but I REALLY enjoy just making them!
Your Panther looks really great, nice finish, maybe a bit too shiny? Also the tracks need to sag a little. Great tank though! Well done!

Vinnie
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 11:57 AM UTC
My only issue would be that the colors seem a little too indistinct and blend together too much. One thing with German armor is that there was usually distinct separation of colors, even with softedge camouflage patterns. German camouflage takes a while to get good at with an airbrush. It's been years, and I'm still working on my technique! For a first try with an airbrush, it looks good, but just something about it doesn't quite look right. Keep at it, and that will soon be dealt with.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 12:09 PM UTC
Hi Bruce, Very nice camo. I bet after you shot it you realized how easy and fun three color camo is :-) and I bet ya can't wait to get started on your next. A couple of comments, you may try to give it a spray of clear flat to deaden the colors a bit and as for the sag you can use thread and tie the tracks down to the center sections of the road wheels, its a pretty easy task. here is an example of the same kit as yours I beleive

But keep up the good work and enjoy Airbrushing Cheers Kevin
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 12:17 PM UTC
you did a nice job for your frist time on the painting and camo.
you will get better as u go a long
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 12:46 PM UTC
Hi, for your first time in airbrushing it looks very good even the weathering is well done. I myself have not perfected airbrushing. I noticed that the tracks are too stiff, there should be a sag to it because of the weight. I myself alos enjoy building armor. I also attached my version of the Panther Ausf. A with zimmerit incase you plan on putting them.

As long as you enjoy modelling, everything is beautiful, keep it up.....

Track sag

Unfinished panther

SFC_StJohn
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 05:04 AM UTC
Two things:

1) I very much appreciate the comments especially on the shine & tracks!

2) How / What is the best way to cause the sag in tracks to make them look more realistic? I've tried superglue on the SDKFZ 251 in my gallery and it worked OK but some of you guys make them look perfect.... how? I like the "thread" idea identified above, I'll probably try that next.

Thanks

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 05:24 AM UTC
Another method for getting track sag, is to drill a small hole into the hull side and insert a pin across the tracks and into the hull. This keeps the track down nicely. Make sure the pin is inbetween links and add a little pastel dirt on top to disguise. Two lengths of piano wire through both sides of the hull should do fine.
Another alternative is to use friul tracks ...... and get all that nice sag naturally. Im another who doesn´t really bother about exact detail ... and prefer to do something that appeals to me rather than be right, but friuls have to be the single best aftermarket item available. On Russian and german armor, they are hard to beat.
 _GOTOTOP