_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Vallejo air paint accuracy ?
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 07:52 AM UTC
Really not sure what to think here. Went to finish a project tonight and gathered up all my rust toned paints. And then noticed this.

Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 10:58 AM UTC
Different lots can be different shades. Best way to check is to shake them well, mechanical shaker is best, then paint a test strip from both on piece of white plastic and let it cure completely.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 06:14 PM UTC
They are tad old, have the same problem as some paint well over 14 years old.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 06:46 PM UTC
I get your point for sure when dealing with FS,RAL,RLM colors,you want the match for sure,but with the rust,wouldnt diffrent shades be more realistic.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 08:20 PM UTC
If you need two bottles of the same shade, just mix them together. I've been down that road a few times. Same manufacturer same type paint shouldn't be a problem.
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 06:17 AM UTC
These were actually both bought at the same local hobby store. About 4 months apart though.

Actually more surprised how different the labels are.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 06:45 AM UTC
from the label i think the light one is older,no healt label,however, the difference is too much, a slight difference in shade between lots is ok, but these are 2 different colors
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2017 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

from the label i think the light one is older,no healt label,however, the difference is too much, a slight difference in shade between lots is ok, but these are 2 different colors

They are both well shaken also. What I am using them for the two different shade work for me also. When I get one of my Xmas present with them in it, I can see from a third what might be right.

Kinda wondering if there is a counterfeit market,
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2017 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you need two bottles of the same shade, just mix them together. I've been down that road a few times. Same manufacturer same type paint shouldn't be a problem.

I've seen professional house painters do that, keeps the home owner from complaining that two walls are slightly different colors. Of course model builders these days go to great lengths to get slightly different shades on different parts of their models.

Quoted Text

I get your point for sure when dealing with FS,RAL,RLM colors, you want the match for sure, but with the rust, wouldn't different shades be more realistic.

Good point, the paint companies sell different versions of rust for exactly that reason.

Quoted Text

Kinda wondering if there is a counterfeit market.

Or a paint seller could have switched suppliers resulting in slightly different batches of what is supposed to be the same color. In any event, it looks like you have some young rust and middle-aged rust which seems like a good thing to have on hand.

KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 401 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2017 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Really not sure what to think here. Went to finish a project tonight and gathered up all my rust toned paints. And then noticed this.

You can always email Vallejo directly and inquire about this. I had a similar issue with ivory sand and they were very helpful (see my ivory sand post in here).
 _GOTOTOP