_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Gun Question
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 12:37 PM UTC
Hi guys.

This RMG project is giving me one problem after another. So here I am back to ask yet another question. On some of the ref pics I've found the British 6 pdr anti-tank gun and with the kit the weapon has a second gun shield. This sheild is smaller and fits on the outside of the main shield. On some of the pics The gun does not have it. I'm having trouble finding pics of the gun in action to see what was the normal use. If anyone can give me some direction it would be a big help.

Thanks guys
Wolfsix
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 01:02 PM UTC
Are you talking about the folded skirt at the bottom of the gun shield? If so it is folded up when transporting the gun and can be lowered when firing. I think this is right.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 03:49 PM UTC
Animal

Thats just it I can't find any written reference to it, so I don't know what it's called. It's shaped almost like a "U". It does have a hinged plate along the bottem, and covers about half the main shield. More than half the pics I've seen of the gun, show it without it. So I guess my question is would it be "right" to show the gun in action without the second shield?

Wolfsix
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 07:54 PM UTC
The 6pdr gun had the 'main' shield, single layer armour plate, and the small folding section at the bottom which was dropped down when in firing position. There was an 'airborne' version of the gun which dispensed with the lower 'drop-down' plate and had a shortened axle to fit into a glider. There was a further version that had trail legs which hinged in the centre to provide a shorter load to fit into a Dakota.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 08:15 PM UTC
do you mean the angled main shield through which the barrel projects, or the smaller flat sheid with the folding part in front of that?

as dave says the front sheild was removed for the airborne version

heres an airborne one

the tamiya kit has the front shield in there, so OOTB it builds to a reasonable mk2.

the airborne ones were based on the mk1, so the italeri/revell/zvezda one is the kit you need

cheers

joe

wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hi all

Thanks guys, once again you prove to be a sanity savor. The kit I have is the Tamiya one, but I'm going to try to find the other one. I need the airborne version. GreatBrit thanks for the photo, with this project I can use all the reference I can get. Do you guys know if the other one is still in production ?

Thanks again guys you've been abig help
Wolfsix
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 05:32 AM UTC
Revell Germany have a bedford QL Portee with a 6 pdr that can be positioned on the body or towed. It is still available and is the 6 pdr you are looking for. It is kit # 3030. I just check great models.com and they have it!
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 09:23 AM UTC
Howdy Wolf: Here is a link to a site with an old newsreel with a 6lbr being fired by canaidan troops in Italy. Hard to pick out the shields but it shows the unit in action.
http://www.junobeach.org/e/2/can-eve-rod-ita-ort-e.htm
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 09:56 AM UTC
hey wolfsix, as a matter of fact, i bought one off ebay and it arrived today!

it is still in production and better than the tamiya one anyway. more detailed etc

cheers

joe
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 10:00 AM UTC
here you go mate

these have some

http://www.militaryhobbies.com/product.cfm?ProductID=88

cheers

joe
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 01:42 PM UTC
Hi guys

Thank you very much! I just ordered the gun [along with a few other things] should be here in around 10 days. I want to say thanks to all that posted a reply, this one really pulled my bacon out of a jam. deadline for the campaign is stearing me in the face and I'm still playing with references. This should move things along.

Thanks again
Wolfsix
 _GOTOTOP