_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Vallejo at Hobby Lobby
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hobby Lobby started carrying these 2 sets a couple months ago.

Finally gave in and got the streaking set.

Amazon doesnt come close to the price after you do the HL 40% off. Ends up around $16 compared to Amazons $25-28 price for either.

fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 04:20 PM UTC
That amazes me that Amazon is so high!!! I get all my Vallajo paints from Scalehobbyist.com and this set was 20.00. Probably ends up close with shipping, but I make up for that with ordering alot more than 1 thing.
timcc2008
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 05:48 PM UTC
I was surprised when I saw these sets at Hobby Lobby. I scooped up the Rust, Stain and Streaking Set and used the 40% off coupon. It was a really good deal. I am hoping Hobby Lobby will start carrying more products from Vallejo.
JoeOsborne
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 06:17 PM UTC
I'll have to check this out. My local store carries Vallejo, but the only other stuff I've seen is the Olive Drab or Green set.

americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 06:24 PM UTC
The HL near me has a good selection of Vallejo (brush-ready) in lots of military colors as well as blues, yellows, reds, and silver, brass, steel, and gunmetal; have picked up some German camo colors and US olive drab; have only seen one set; mostly single bottles in display; definitely a welcome addition to their inventory
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2017 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That amazes me that Amazon is so high!!! I get all my Vallajo paints from Scalehobbyist.com and this set was 20.00. Probably ends up close with shipping, but I make up for that with ordering alot more than 1 thing.

Products listed on Amazon may not actually be sold by Amazon, and even within the stuff Amazon sells directly, you have the loss leaders (the items in the Gold Box discounts and the like, with really shaved margins) to pull you in, taking advantage of the "as long as I'm here" effect to entice you to add more items that may not be as good a deal as the first item you selected. Because Amazon has such a breadth of product, their loss leaders can be scattered all over the map, while a dedicated hobby store has a narrower range of product to pick from when selecting items to discount to draw in customers.

And if the seller is an Amazon associate, it can ride the coattails of Amazon's own discounts while reducing its own. There have been occasions where a simple search returned a particular listing for something I was looking for, and a more detailed search done differently returned several different listings for the same item from different associates with significantly different prices.
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 - 12:10 AM UTC
Amazon takes like a 10% cut from 3rd party sales, so prices tend to reflect that. Unless it's coming directly from Amazon you can usually find it cheaper.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 - 12:22 AM UTC
Scalehobbyist.com is the least expensive place I have found for Vallajo paints hands down. The down side is shipping charges which probably make it a wash, but their selection is far better than HL, with the added bonus of being a full service internet hobby stop.
Jack_Turmoil
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 - 01:17 AM UTC
I'd say this is a good deal with the 40% off. Hobby Lobby seems to use full retail for all of their pricing. With the 40% off, it is usually an OK deal. I prefer Scale Hobbyist for all of my paint needs. I tend to order enough or a kit with it, to make the shipping worth it. This is just me, though. My two Hobby Lobbies tend to not have colors, that I need, nor do my local hobby shops. Also, that is an awesome paint set. I need to pick one up at some point soon.
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 - 03:33 AM UTC
Unless you want the "model color" line, hobby lobby isnt the place to get the "air" line.

Both these sets and one other smaller bottle set is it.

I always grab at least one paint bottle for 40% when I end up there.
Iraqiwildman
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unless you want the "model color" line, hobby lobby isnt the place to get the "air" line.

Both these sets and one other smaller bottle set is it.

I always grab at least one paint bottle for 40% when I end up there.

I usually do the same thing. I have their app on my iphone to call up the 40% coupon.

I also check their clearance section and find model paints and kits there for 50-75% off.
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 12:17 AM UTC
I visited HL yesterday and they are carrying two different airplane sets now also.
 _GOTOTOP