_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/72 Dragon DS track/boggie question
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 01:21 AM UTC
Salutations all,
I did a little splurging on black Friday and picked up the Dragon Pz.Kpw IV (F2/G) kit in 1/72 (20% discount which paid for the shipping). I opened the box and was sort of taken aback that the tracks are this combo thing with the tracks/bogie/roller wheels as one piece. My question is does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with them? I see they made assembly easier at the sacrifice of trying to paint the dang thing. I do have a few Dragon kits in the stash with their ba-zillion micro-managed pieces/assembly but this one has me totally stumped. I was expecting the same thing. I am sure if this kit does ever make it to the bench, it will totally be stalled just outside the paint booth. Is there after-market stuff out there for this thing and is it worth it or am I going to put this thing in the deepest darkest recesses of my stash

I await for your great wisdom

Cheers
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 02:49 AM UTC
You could always swipe the running gear and track from one of the Revell Pz IV variants. Assuming that there is one with the appropriate sprockets and roadwheel hubs for an F2/G, of course.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 07:46 PM UTC
Ahhhh, the "old Dragon" 'lets make our kits "dumber" while simplifying production and charging the same price if not more trick'. I fear that perhaps what you were looking for was the older kit 7359 from Dragon's former glory days. I reviewed that kit a while ago and you can find the review HERE. One might assume that if you can find one of those older 'F2/G' kits for a fair price they'd be your answer. Using a Revell kit might prove more problem than its worth as the construction processes are different enough to be problematic. Then again you could always paint the suspension as best you can and hide it behind some 'scratch-built' side skirts?

Good Luck and Cheers,
Jan
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 08:10 PM UTC
Thanks. Trend_Geek that kit you reviewed was pretty much what I was expecting. I guess I need to look for a review before buying Dragon kits from now on. I am not a full fledge Dragon disciple but I did put high expectations in what to expect from them (Black Label Series is the exception based on what I have read). If there is no aftermarket then I guess this kit gets buried in the stash and I will begin my hunt for the kit you reviewed.

Cheers

Bleusaille
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 01:00 AM UTC
Well, if you just want to have new tracks and wheels, it's maybe interessant to look at the OKB grigorov offers...
It will be a little bit pricy, (but I think you can keep the sprocket and idler wheels), but you will be sure to have the correct tracks and you will not stay with a Panzer IV witout running gear.....
You can even choose between Winterketten, Osketten, normalketten...
http://shop.okbgrigorov.com/category/21/pz-iii-iv.html?page=1
Pascal
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 02:07 AM UTC
Merci Bleusaille. At least it is a place to start. Maybe I can cut the boogie/idler wheels from the tracks and just order replacement tracks. Question is which type of tracks were used on a F2/G that was, say with the DAK? Yes I did rule out Winterketten and Ostketten . I was thinking 38mm tracks. Correct me please. Next thing I need to confirm is for 7ish Euros do you really only get two boogie wheels as the pic shows

Cheers

firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 04:06 AM UTC
Robbie, you might take a look at my recent review of the new Dragon StuG.III here
http://armorama.com/review/13519
It has the same type of track units, and the review shows how I painted them, very simply - prime the whole thing in satin black, then paint the wheels in with a quick freehand spray of thinned dark yellow, then touch up any over spray with a black wash, if necessary, that is... It certainly makes it much quicker, but at the sacrifice of track detail, particularly on the inner side. The wheels aren't too bad, though the idler is simplified.
I'd say you got it so cheap, just build it like it is and put it down to experience. Not really worth going aftermarket in my view, just save that money for another kit.
Enjoy it anyway.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 04:35 AM UTC
Thanks for the link Fistcircle. Your build did not look as painful as I have been imagining. Maybe going AMS is not necessary, after all it is just a Dragon kit

Cheers

Bleusaille
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 05:54 PM UTC
For me, the Panzer IV Ausf F2 had 40 cm tracks....
Okb offers 8 sprockets wheels in a simple packet, so I suppose they sale enough road wheels for a whole tank...
May be you can ask them...
I know they are not cheap, but I think they are more intelligent than dumm to sale a whole running gear in 8 differents bags for more than 50$...
la bleusaille
 _GOTOTOP