_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BTR-70 and BTR-80 hull differences?
AotrsCommander
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 11:14 PM UTC
I am working on making a CAD model for BTR-80, starting from my model of the BTR-70. As is often the case with trying to work on variants, I'm struggling a bit to synch up the technical drawings and the model.

In this case – as usual – the measurements you can find are little help, since they have such a wide margin for error. The BTR-80 is consistently listed as being 0.1m wider, though it is difficult to see why that is.

My understanding is that the BTR-80 (hull) is basically[1] the BTR-70 hull, only with the rear section modified (i.e. the centre chamfer taken out and the rear squared off and so on).

(Obviously, the turret and the external details are different.)

Is this correct, or is the BTR-80 actually a slightly different (but almost indistinguishable to my eye on pictures and photos) shape?

The internet is sadly lacking any good side-by-side photos for a good comparison.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

[1]I.e. the basic shape and geometry of the hull.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 03:19 AM UTC
Quick response is, they are two completely different hulls.
AotrsCommander
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quick response is, they are two completely different hulls.

I know the rear and the top surface is different, and some of the surface details are different (where "surfaces details", for the scope of CAD work means "firing ports/lights/doors/splash plates/lights/panels" etc[1]) but are the other parts of the hull - i.e. the underlying shape and size of the hull geometry - the same shape (I.e. the front of the hull, the position of the wheels etc)?

I have been unable to find any images showing a direct comparison to compare, and if the front or the sides, for example, are a different shape[2], it is pretty subtle to my naked eye.

So, if the shape is indeed different, how is it different?

[1]It's not like regular modelling where door holes or something are important, on a CAD model all that is essentially just pasted onto (or into) the hull surface.

[2]Aside from the obvious changes to the upper surface and rear.
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 07:25 PM UTC
Hi Alex,
the drawings in the following link appear to be the same that originally appeared in M-hobby , their drawings have a good reputation for accuracy. I'd link you directly to the issue they appear in but from what I can see the PDF is no longer available.

Sean

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/150885&ord=&page=1
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 08:30 PM UTC
M-Khobbi published 1/35 drawings of the BTR-70 in its 01/2006 issue and of the BTR-80 in 05/2006. I have never measured (or seen) a real one of either but that should give you a starting point.
AotrsCommander
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 10:15 PM UTC
Righto; thanks all, I think what information I've gotten is enough to work from.

(And the links sean mcandrews provided also had a further link to another BTR-80 walkaround, and you can never have enough walkarounds, so cheers for that!)

_GOTOTOP