_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What Takom M47 for a B.O.T.B. movie replica?
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 - 08:12 AM UTC
I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I'm making a Battle of the Bulge movie replica tank and I want to know which Takom varient of the M47 I should buy for this?
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 - 08:47 AM UTC
The M47G version with the original engine deck. I think the ones used were from the Bundeswehr. Edit- They may have been Spanish M47s, not German. Movie was filmed in Spain. Same kit applies, however
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 - 09:28 AM UTC
They were definitely Spanish M47s. I saw the movie with my father in the Cinerama theater when it was a first run film in the 1960's. The movie has since really been trashed for everything from the story line to the props by most folks here on Armorama. However, most folks really do miss the point of the movie-- it was one of the first Cinerama three screen movies. It was projected from three locations onto three screens simultaneously giving you a "surround" experience-- long before Imax. The sound system was geared to the screens too. You really felt like you were in the scenes if you sat in the front three rows. "2001 a Space Odyssey" and "How the West Was Won" was other Cinerama movies, shot and presented the same way. Accuracy wasn't as important-- it was all about the close-up experience. For me, as a kid, it was really something to sit in the very front row and watch a tank run right over you in the theater! As we left the theater, my Dad snagged a large format glossy program with the movie poster on the front-- the frontal silhouette of a stylized M47, surrounded by flames. It had all the info on where and how the movie was made inside. I hung onto that tattered program until just a few years ago when it finally fell apart.
VR, Russ
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 04:14 AM UTC
Thanks guys and interesting points Russ. Oddly enough when I was younger I used to get annoyed because the tanks looked nothing like the real King Tigers but now I'm older I just appreciate the film for what it was and it's part of my childhood. Hence now why I'd like to make a replica of the movie tanks (which I can put alongside my BOTB KING Tiger from Dragon. I''m also doing a Harvard/Zero replica from Tora Tora.

One thing though I'm still not sure which boxing to get?
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 05:17 AM UTC
The "G" version as Jason said. It's the main production rear engine deck.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The "G" version as Jason said. It's the main production rear engine deck.

How did I miss that. Cheers Paul.
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:01 PM UTC
Since hollywood likes to re-edit movies replacing classic footage with cgi (star wars anyone), perhaps they should take these old war movies and put the correct tanks in the scenes. BOTB and Patton replace the M47's, realistic tigers in Kelly's Heros and replace the M51's and T-55 (T-54?) from Big Red 1. And enhance every explosion with blast rings.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Since hollywood likes to re-edit movies replacing classic footage with cgi (star wars anyone), perhaps they should take these old war movies and put the correct tanks in the scenes. BOTB and Patton replace the M47's, realistic tigers in Kelly's Heros and replace the M51's and T-55 (T-54?) from Big Red 1. And enhance every explosion with blast rings.

But it's not Star Wars or Star Trek! No Uber mega fandom by the horde to buy everything and then trash it forever on line.

Not fantastic enough. Most old war movies are in boxed sets that are in the 9.99 bin. Hardly enough profit to update with CGI unless it's a real labor of love like the reconstructed Big Red One.

There are some recent films (more than I originally thought with some of the "reanactor" films) that really make the effort and if you want an accurate movie you have to seek them out and watch them.
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But it's not Star Wars or Star Trek! No Uber mega fandom by the horde to buy everything and then trash it forever on line.

Not fantastic enough. Most old war movies are in boxed sets that are in the 9.99 bin. Hardly enough profit to update with CGI unless it's a real labor of love like the reconstructed Big Red One.

There are some recent films (more than I originally thought with some of the "reanactor" films) that really make the effort and if you want an accurate movie you have to seek them out and watch them.

Yeah but I know a some high school kids who would do it for extra credit, pizza, red bull and a tank of gas and it would still look better than the remade star treks or star wars.

BTW have you seen the limited edition star wars paper towels? Whats next, Jar Jar Binks toilet paper?

And can anyone tell me if that is a T-55 or T-54 in the Big Red 1?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 03:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah but I know a some high school kids who would do it for extra credit, pizza, red bull and a tank of gas and it would still look better than the remade star treks or star wars.

BTW have you seen the limited edition star wars paper towels? Whats next, Jar Jar Binks toilet paper?

And can anyone tell me if that is a T-55 or T-54 in the Big Red 1?

I have had Star Wars Dixie bathroom cups and Band-aids back in 1978 for the first movie. I also had Star Wars sheets. Mel Brooks nailed the whole commercialization in Space balls.

Pretty sure it was a T-55. It was a real wreck they just painted German markings on. In the reconstructed version they also restored scenes with a privately owned M50 in a preview scene shot in the Pacific Northwest and a H-39 (under a tarp but you could see the running gear and gun) that is attacked by French colonial troops.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 06:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just built the "G" version. Not perfect but looks good when done.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 06:18 PM UTC
Loved the old movies using the 'wrong' tank/truck in depicting one side or the other. That is what made them special. As a kid, I didn't know the difference between an M47 and a real Tiger. Who gave a damn when you're an 11 year old, wide eyed, mouth wide open, kid that was just overwhelmed with all that tank and truck stuff, guns blazing right along with some bad acting. To me it was a first time, virgin movie, never to be replicated or have a sequel, which in my book, made it that one-off gem.
DG0542
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:34 PM UTC
Movies are movies, if you go to watch movies for your history you're a fool. Now remember there are very few tanks running, and the cost is out there. No one complains that A Bridge To Far used VW Bugs for tanks, and Leopards for Panthers. Also remember that the Kelly's Heroes Tigers were better looking than the Saving Private Ryan. Why can't we just enjoy movies for what they are, stories?
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Loved the old movies using the 'wrong' tank/truck in depicting one side or the other. That is what made them special. As a kid, I didn't know the difference between an M47 and a real Tiger. Who gave a damn when you're an 11 year old, wide eyed, mouth wide open, kid that was just overwhelmed with all that tank and truck stuff, guns blazing right along with some bad acting. To me it was a first time, virgin movie, never to be replicated or have a sequel, which in my book, made it that one-off gem.

Exactly!
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 08:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think now especially it gives them a certain charm. A lot like some toys I used to have as a kid. One was called a Sherman tank on the box but the box art and actual toy looked looked nothing like a real Sherman. And I had a Tiger tank which was shaped like a Tiger but had British markings.

Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I just built the "G" version. Not perfect but looks good when done.

Hope to have mine Christmas day. I've read one or two reviews so far saying pretty much the same as what you've said.

I'm thinking of doing a few movie replicas. Another one I'm doing is The Pfalz from The Blue Max. Love that camouflage scheme.
 _GOTOTOP