_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Italeri re-releases RSO
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 11:30 AM UTC
Italeri just announced the re-release of their old Steyr RSO. The RSO, is of course, the old Peerless Max mold which they didn't get the chance to release. Accompanying the tractor are the old Esci "German Rest Area" troops. They are releasing a Schnellboot as well.
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 11:53 AM UTC
Will it have any advantage over dragon kit?
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 12:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Will it have any advantage over dragon kit?

Yes, although it's a little clunky due to it's age it actually has close to correct dimensions. Dragon did a rather terrible job with their measurements, reportedly 11-12mm too narrow. That's quite a bit for a 1/35 kit. And unless it's been corrected, the original DML run had M113 seats in due to being a museum piece. Sometimes, newer isn't better I guess.

Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 01:01 PM UTC
I got Pak40 version from Dragon, and according to PMMS dimensions are ok (will check out myself when time to build comes). Seats are replaced updated to, although you still get those M113 for spare box.
Sprue shots in Italleri website look good too.
http://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2687
One downside is rubber band tracks, no engine, but you cant realy see it anyway.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 01:16 PM UTC
[quote]I got Pak40 version from Dragon, and according to PMMS dimensions are ok (will check out myself when time to build comes). Seats are replaced updated to, although you still get those M113 for spare box.
Sprue shots in Italleri website look good too.
http://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2687
One downside is rubber band tracks, no engine, but you cant realy see it anyway. [/quoty3

_____
Yes I've seen that one as well as a couple on Armorama. I believe the gist of it is a real RSO is 1990mm wide or 57 in 1/35 scale. DML's is 45. It's nice to know they changed the seats, and the hubs with the Steyr logo are quite nice. At any rate I already have three Italeri ones from back when they were "rare". I guess we always make the mistake of getting kits only to find better ones come out later: 15 CWT, White Scout Car, Quad tractor, Elefant, Sturmtiger, Bergetiger, etc. 😂
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 03:06 PM UTC
yeah, i know the feeling. Recently picked up Academy MH60 Pavehawk, just to get upset with Kittyhawk announcing new tool few months later. Oh well
For cab width, i don't think it is so dramatic. Isn't 1990 overall width? Cab itself is narrower than that. After all, 20% narrower cab would definitely look wrong on finished kit, but it doesn't. Anyway, with too much attention to detail/dimensions, we loose scope on bigger picture. For me, more important is joy factor when building the kit. Small details that are hidden after assembly might be nice, as long as they dont bring frustration trying to assemble it And lets not forget the price factor.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 03:50 PM UTC
I agree! I have far too many kits to build as it is - I'm not going to get too deeply involved with the details. I have a fair bit of PE for some of the older kits I got fairly cheaply so I will use them, but I am pretty much a DOOB guy now - I'll use the tried and true methods of refining or improving kit parts or simple scratchbuilt items. I have enough to keep me busy in this life and the next!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 - 05:11 AM UTC
Built a few of those Italeri kits back in the 70's 80's still have them,I always liked that kit even with the hard tracks, just looked the part.Might even have a few not built.
 _GOTOTOP