_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
My next project. "The Test Drive" Type 97 Dio
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 04:54 PM UTC
Here are some progress shots of one of my next project. I got a lot accomplished tonight. This tank has sat half built on the top shelf above my workbench for about a year and tonight I pulled it down and started painting. As you can see, the paint job on the main body is complete. I will start on the running gear tomorrow night.
I built this tank from the Tamiya kit and built it completely OOB. I Just thought it would be fun to see how nice I could make it look without having to use all of the PE goodies that are no doubt available for it.
That paint job was quite a bear to do. I started with a preshade over the entire tank with flat black. Then I airbrushed the whole take light tan. Then I masked off the areas to be sprayed dark green, preshaded just those areas and then shot them with the dark green. Did the same for the red/brown. Then I masked off the yellow striping, sprayed it with chrome yellow, then overshot if slightly with light earth to tone it down.
I dry brushed each colored area separately with a lightened shade of the base color for that area. Next will be the details like the exhaust areas, paint chips and weathering, mud and dirt, etc...

I hadn't decided what to do with the tank when it was done. I thought about putting it on a nice polished wood base presentation style... but that isn't much fun. So I thought of this.

A US tanker, just climbing out of the turret hatch. Beside the tank another US tanker (not shown), perhaps holding a clip board? A little vignette entitled "The Test Drive". I will have to modify the figure slightly and find a second figure that will fit in the story line but otherwise, I think it would make a nice little display.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 07:27 PM UTC
Looks like this will turn into another Good job I like the resin figure good detail in face area. especially OOB .
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 11:56 PM UTC
I feel the birth of another winner in contests again !!

Looks promissing !!
demodelbouwer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 792 posts
Armorama: 314 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 12:33 AM UTC
howdy corporal,

Very nice model ( a bit to clean ) but the wash can make it a differance....
Also very nice figure
Keep up the good work

And don't count in your hopes to high !!!!

I'm still around .......

Eric
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 01:12 AM UTC
Looking great, as usual...
What brand of colours you use? Itīs funny, you could tell from a single pic this is the DGeraths color scale!
Are you planning to make more surroundings, or just the tank plus one guy standing next to it on wooden plate? Could be enough...

Toni
 _GOTOTOP