_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
First Diorama
mwsny001
Visit this Community
South Africa
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 05:06 PM UTC
Hi there.

I would like to share with you pictures of the first diorama I've built, completed last week.
It is the second one I've built, but the first one doesn't count at it was a total disaster.

It is at:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mwsny001/

Thank you.
desert_fox
Visit this Community
Estonia
KitMaker: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 05:33 PM UTC
nice work
i would like to start with dios but it is very hard to get any suitable material in this corner of world
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 05:38 PM UTC
That is pretty sharp! I like the simpleness of the layout. Very easy to look at. Nice job! :-)
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 377 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 04:59 AM UTC
Two thumbs up.Looks like you keeped it real simple,looks great man :-)
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 05:09 AM UTC
Looking Good modeling friend with the difficult nickname.....

Great work. Like Zach said, You managed to keep it simple and still show the works !!

Keep up the good work !

Quoted Text

it is very hard to get any suitable material in this corner of world

Can't tell what flag that is ? Could anybody tell me what part of the world the fox is referring to ?
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can't tell what flag that is ? Could anybody tell me what part of the world the fox is referring to ?

It's Estonia - one of the former republics of USSR.

If you put your mouse above the flags you will have the text associated to the image - at least with IE or Netscape.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i would like to start with dios but it is very hard to get any suitable material in this corner of world

desert_fox, You can probably find most of the materials right in your back yard. Get some dirt to make... well dirt, you can use roots to make funky looking trees (just flip them upside down). If you want to make leaves you can use dried up herbs such as parsley. Use moss to make bushes. If you were to make a pine tree you could use dried dill branches. They are very fine and would look really good in 1:35 scale. You can make your own buildings out of plaster which you should be able to buy in Estonia. Evey country in the world uses plaster or a form of.

Cheers
Marty
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 10:24 PM UTC
Very impressed with your dio. Looks great. Is that a dust effect over the jeep or is it a photo result or is my eyes letting me down. The bag hanging over the shovel looks like a real bag superimposed into the picture.
Why not show your first dio. It cant be that bad. Sometimes you learn more by making a mistake thatn getting it right.
Thor
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 190 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 11:11 PM UTC
Looking good Mw
Keep up the good work!

Dolf
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 12:34 AM UTC
That's a very nice little dio !
It's just the way I lik'em : small, simple and believable !
Still, I have the feeling that something is missing : a little weathering of the jeep.
As it is, it looks very new. So now, you need to investigate on the techniques of drybrushing
and washing !
mwsny001
Visit this Community
South Africa
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

desert_fox, You can probably find most of the materials right in your back yard. Get some dirt to make... well

Marty and desert_fox, that is exactly what I used. The road is some sand from my backyard, the trees is dried up
weeds spiced with some oregano and parsley, and the grass/bushes is some mossy stuff I found in a local place that sells plants. (Nursery?)
mwsny001
Visit this Community
South Africa
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very impressed with your dio. Looks great. Is that a dust effect over the jeep or is it a photo result or is my eyes letting me down. The bag hanging over the shovel looks like a real bag superimposed into the picture.
Why not show your first dio. It cant be that bad. Sometimes you learn more by making a mistake thatn getting it right.

Thanks! I tried to make a dust effect over the jeep, but was quite worried of ruining it, as it was my first try at "weathering". Penpen, I agree the jeep needs more character, but as I said, worried about ruining it! I have given up on doing washes, as I really suck at that. It just does not seem to work for me. I tried windsor/newton oil paint with turps, but it looks really horrible. Ah well.

To everybody:
Thank you very much for your kind comments. This is a great forum, and you are good people. /me happy. :-)
All my wife ever says is: That's nice dear. But why are they all brown and green? Don't you have other colors? Maybe I should build a pink tank especially for her.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 03:59 AM UTC
mwsny001, I've got a method you can try for your wash :
mix a bit of water paint (the stuff used by kids) with dishwashing soap and water...
Apply this mixture, waterlike, in the recesses, like any other wash.
The good point is that if you don't like the result, you can wash it off with soapy water !
If you work with water based acrylics, you'd better seal it first.

That way you can practice again and again on a scrap model !
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 04:00 PM UTC
Not to be a fly in the ointment but, While this is definitely outstanding work, I think you could enhance the different green shades in the vegetation. This is meant as helpful advice not criticism. Keep up the excellent work.

Jack
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 04:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you put your mouse above the flags you will have the text associated to the image

I move along as I learn more each time !
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 04:10 PM UTC
As the other guys have said, keep practicing. Your Dio is great and excellent for a beginner. Pity we all couldnt get of to such a headstart. Buy an old and cheap model... even a cheap airplane model to practice on. Use your normal painting method and when you want to start again, dip it in a caustic soda and water mix to lift all the paint off, then start again. Thats what I did with my first few models built. Be careful with caustic soda as its dangerous though. E-mail me if you want further advice on this.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 04:12 PM UTC
You could do Walt Disney, or was it Steve Mac Queen, stealing his famous M48, and rolling out of a Florida army base is his stolen, and pink painted tank. Now Damned where did I put those elephants.

Jack Frost
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
KitMaker: 476 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 04:33 PM UTC
Nice little diorama, maybe it is a vignette?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 04:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It's Estonia - one of the former republics of USSR.

If you put your mouse above the flags you will have the text associated to the image - at least with IE or Netscape.

Mine says South Africa... #:-) Anyway, really good work!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 06:13 PM UTC
Another great thing about being on here is, if come across a specific problem, ask for help. The more specific the question, the easier and better help you will get. Believe me, I know.
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2002 - 06:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All my wife ever says is: That's nice dear. But why are they all brown and green? Don't you have other colors? Maybe I should build a pink tank especially for her.

You can try the SAS Land Rover PINK PANTHER (TAMIYA) and so perhaps your wife likes it more.

Army
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 02:47 PM UTC
Very nice dio !!
 _GOTOTOP