_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Choosing Correct Friul tracks
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 04:15 PM UTC
First post and awesome to find this site. I'm a former armor modeling nut in 1/72 and 1/35 and jumping back in from a little hiatus.

I purchased a few "new" Sherman kits ( Tamiya easy 8 euro, Tamiya 75mm version and the dragon battle of the Buldge)

I have a clue sets of friul tacks coming it wondering which are the correct period tracks for these kits ?

Also, would my quickwheek masks work for the dragon kit or are Tamiya / dragon wheel sizes different?

Thanks again guys and look forward to thus forum immensely

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 06:27 PM UTC
Hello Brian and welcome to the site and network.

The Quick Wheel masks should work on both or be so close as to not matter.

On the tracks it is I believe ATL-89 for the Easy 8 and ATL-12 for the Battle of the Bulge Sherman.
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

First post and awesome to find this site. I'm a former armor modeling nut in 1/72 and 1/35 and jumping back in from a little hiatus.

I purchased a few "new" Sherman kits ( Tamiya easy 8 euro, Tamiya 75mm version and the dragon battle of the Buldge)

I have a clue sets of friul tacks coming it wondering which are the correct period tracks for these kits ?

Also, would my quickwheek masks work for the dragon kit or are Tamiya / dragon wheel sizes different?

Thanks again guys and look forward to thus forum immensely

Careful with those Fruil tracks. Since theyre metal, they're good to show track sag, which was not found on Sherman tracks. Sherman's used Live Track, which meant the track was always kept tight. I can't remember on those Tamiya kits if you'll be able to adjust the idler.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:57 PM UTC
Welcome to the board also.Brian

Have you ever used AFV Club tracks?
Might be better on the Sherman's as Steve pointed out.
But can be done.
Also a tad Cheaper is if you look in HK at Hobby Easy, Spade Ace tracks. They have a hole all the way through though,unlike Friul ,which do not.
Cheaper by about $15.00 they were including shipping from HK.
But I bought ones for the M-110, M-107, M-113.Used to be a company here in the states that made tracks , I think shut down now or had them made pretty decent in price, can't remember the name Panda something maybe.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 02:37 AM UTC
Panda, maker of the former RHPS tracks, is still very much alive at shermantracks.com and is my first choice for VVSS track. Press fit, one part pads and separate guide horns and most types of VVSS track are in the range. I’m building a set of Broncos but they are more fiddly and need to be glued, which runs the risk of preventing the articulation. I like Friuls for skeleton track but I don’t find it works as well for the types with connectors that span two links. Fine for the T66 track used with early HVSS though.
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:08 AM UTC
Awesome info guys --- I have the ATL-12's --- would they work for the Tamiya 75mm kit (#35250) - I was not aware of the tension issue with the Sherman tracks. I suppose I can try to glue them tight but maybe the rubber bands are best with some good weathering. I have the T-49 from Friul and AFV Club --- what would they be correct for?

I'm totally addicted to Friul/Easy tracks, but will maybe see what these have in them. I have AFV club early tiger vinyl tracks and they don't seem any better than the Tamiya ones?

Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:12 AM UTC
Actually have two of the ATL-12 - would that work with Tamiya #35250?

Again, thanks for all the replies - great to have the feedback.
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:17 AM UTC
Also, any tips/links to getting the Friul tracks straight or is it simply not worth the effort.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:56 PM UTC
Your best guide to matching track types with vehicle types is to consult photos, as while all VVSS track designs were compatible, some were more likely than others to be found on particular vehicles. Obviously some would not have been seen before they went into production either.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 - 05:31 AM UTC
Panda. The Friuls are horrible for Shermans because you have to use curved ones for the rounded edges of the wheels and straight links for the straights. If you mis-count they won't work right.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Panda, maker of the former RHPS tracks, is still very much alive at shermantracks.com and is my first choice for VVSS track. Press fit, one part pads and separate guide horns and most types of VVSS track are in the range. I’m building a set of Broncos but they are more fiddly and need to be glued, which runs the risk of preventing the articulation. I like Friuls for skeleton track but I don’t find it works as well for the types with connectors that span two links. Fine for the T66 track used with early HVSS though.

Good deal been 10 years since I bought them, and still have some sets of RHPS tracks , yep good deal glad to see still kicking on those tracks,they are good indeed. Agree on the Friuls for Tiger I's and Panzer III's.
 _GOTOTOP