_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Techniques for link removal post glue / clip
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 11:33 AM UTC
Noticed one of the links on my PZ III/IV ( in the middle of course)somehow broke in one area mak@/ it it slightly loose.

I'm sure I can use a little CA to fix but is there a way to safely remove an already glued/clipped link ?

That's for any ideas
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:00 PM UTC
A photo would help us understand better what you are dealing with. We can provide a more informed answer that way as well.

G
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 01:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Noticed one of the links on my PZ III/IV ( in the middle of course)somehow broke in one area mak@/ it it slightly loose.

I'm sure I can use a little CA to fix but is there a way to safely remove an already glued/clipped link ?

That's for any ideas

If you have glued it already it will most likely require violence to get it loose. The adjacent links can probably be saved by concentrating the "violence" on the broken link.
If you have a spare link then you can remove the damaged link in small pieces.
If it is only clipped in you could try to unclip it. The worst that can happen is probably that the clipping function doesn't work afterwards so you will probably need to glue it it afterwards. If you have a spare link then removed the damaged link in small pieces to avoid damaging the adjacent links.
/ Robin
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:33 PM UTC
Thanks guys --- what's best way to post pics here BTW? I used Photobucket in the past in these situations and recently was having trouble with the site/pop ups etc.

It wasn't a catastrophic break, just one of the pieces on a track link was pulled apart (probably when test fitting on the chassis)

I'm hoping it does not happen again but understand I will have to destroy a link or two. I have extras.

Has anyone listed the approx. length for friul tracks based on the kit so you have an idea? For instance the Tamiya Pz III fitment is just about 12 inches of assembled links
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:38 PM UTC
Brian,

Here' a link on how to post pics.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=9&categories=How+do+I+add+images+to+the+forums%3F&parent_id=1

Regarding your track question, are you using Fruil tracks?
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 - 02:33 AM UTC
Great! Thanks I'll check that link out. Yes, they are ATL-05

If you know the pattern, the "short bore" side of the link has one of the two pieces bent away but I was able to put a tiny drop of CA and bent it ever so slightly to get it good to go.

Both sides are drying from first coat of black primer as we speak
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's for any ideas

Yes. YOu can undo the CA glue with a bit of acetone (nail polish remover). Once the CA is loose you should be able to remove the wire with a pair of tweezers.
 _GOTOTOP