_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Volunteers Needed - German Armor Colors
trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:37 AM UTC
We are seeking volunteers with expertise in German armor colors to evaluate several formulations we have developed for Dunkelgelb - Dark Yellow (8 variations) and Rotbrun - Red Brown (2 variations). These are WWII armor colors.

From our research and input from modelers responding to threads on this forum there appears to be 4 distinct Dark Yellow variations for German armor, depending on year and manufacturing plant and 1 or 2 variations for the Red Brown color.

We will send 1/2 oz. of each formulation with each bottle clearly marked with laboratory code (that is 10 sample bottles). Up to three (3) modelers can be sampled with these colors. These can be sent anywhere in the U.S., Europe, Australia, or New Zealand. Each sample can be either air brush sprayed (28-35 PSI recommended) or hand painted for the evaluation.

If you are interested in volunteering to help determine what color(s) are the best match for the 2 we are developing currently, let us know via this forum or email us directly with your information. After we successfully match these colors we will work on other German WWII colors and ask for help for those matches.

Thank you for your input and we look forward to your response.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
P.O. Box 74524
Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

714-488-9779
email: [email protected]

Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:43 AM UTC
I would be in for this. I have 5 German armor builds coming out of Christmas.
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 02:04 PM UTC
Actually, I would like to withdraw my request. I will leave to the other experts on this site to chime in on this.

With so many variables, its a can of worms for me.
trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 10:45 AM UTC
We still have enough lab samples to send 2 more modelers that want to help determine the correct matches for the 4 Dark Yellow and the Red Brown colors for German WWII armor.

Please contact us via this thread to email us directly with your name and address so that we can get you involved in this project.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 01:43 PM UTC
Hello Martin

Just sent you an email.

Cheers

Sean
trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 06:35 AM UTC
First, we want to thank all of the collectors, hobbyists, curators and others who volunteered to help on this project. We had to make several lab batches, but we sent out about 10 sets of 10-12 samples each to volunteers in the U.S., Italy, Denmark, France, Sweden and the UK. Some are still in transit, but many have been received.

As the evaluation on the samples proceeds, we will let everyone know the results. We are hopeful there will a consensus of 2-4 colors that are matches (or close matches) to the Dark Yellow colors found on German armor vehicles. From the research we have done and the info provided to us from readers of this thread, there appears to be many variations of the Dark Yellow color possible due to the number of manufacturers involved, how it was mixed and applied plus the aging factor.

By the time of the IPMS National Convention (Aug. 1-Aug. 4, 2018) we should have ALL of the German armor colors ready to display at the convention. By the way, we will also have most of the Israeli Defense Forces Armor colors as well from 1948 to present !

If you plan to attend, drop by our tables - we will display the entire military product line and say hello !

Martin Cohen, PhD

Tru-Color Paint

P.O. Box 74524

Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

714-488-9779

email: [email protected]
 _GOTOTOP