Hosted by Darren Baker
Chess Korps
ElevenCharlie20
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 07:48 PM UTC
A few years back, like 8, I built a chess set from Flames of War 1/100th kits. Two years later I built a second one. Now I am thinking of number 3. The first 2 I donated for a silent auction and raised over $2700. This one will be for me to stare at until it gets handed down.

ElevenCharlie20
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 07:51 PM UTC
OK, I know we have gone over this a hundred times before... I have images of the chess sets in my album...how do I get them to show here?
ElevenCharlie20
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 07:52 PM UTC
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/458272

https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/30778/thumbs/Chess10_LR1.jpg
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 08:20 PM UTC

If you click on 'Reply and Quote' below you will get an edit window showing the contents of this post. Above this text there are two image links enclosed in [] [] inside the brackets you find the texts img and /img respectively. The / means 'The End' in many formatting languages.
If you click on the img-button below you will get a template with the brackets and img stuff.
On your gallery page there is a thumbnail showing the chess board and below that you see an image link labeled 'Linked thumbnail'. To the right of this there is a button which looks like a piece of chain (a few links, haha). Click it and you will see the links for the full size image.
One of them, the top image above, looks like this:

https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/30778/ChessSet_Board1.jpg

with some extra stuff at both ends. Copy the part starting with https and ending with .jpg into the image linking in your post.
You can not select the interesting bit directly in the Gallery page, you have to copy the whole string into the post and then remove the unwanted bits.

I like those chess boards and I understand why you would want to make one for yourself
Have you thought about using dark and light colours for the bases of the pieces for the black and white side?

/ Robin
ElevenCharlie20
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:22 PM UTC
Thank you Robin! I will have to give the whole thing some careful thought, vehicles, colors, etc. With the vehicles being around $15 each multiplied by 32 it is an almost $500 investment before I even start. The board is a 1930's map of Europe and North Africa, in German. I have more pics in my gallery if interested.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Robin! I will have to give the whole thing some careful thought, vehicles, colors, etc. With the vehicles being around $15 each multiplied by 32 it is an almost $500 investment before I even start. The board is a 1930's map of Europe and North Africa, in German. I have more pics in my gallery if interested.

Prices must have changed since then ...
http://www.modellbau-koenig.de/Filter/Ihr_Suchergebnis_10.htm?n_prod=462&n_sca=1%3a100
In most of the sets you get 4 or 5 vehicles for 32:50 Euro which is about US $38.
Eight pawns, all the same vehicle but for the pieces in the second row there is only two of each so four in a set is overkill unless you make two sets and sell one on ebay
/ Robin
Mckenna35
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:05 PM UTC
If you insist on using Battlefront FoW, then yeah it's going to be pricey. Otherwise Plastic Soldier Company sells boxed sets of 4-5 vehicles for ~$26 bucks, and Zvezda is selling pretty nice plastic singles that you can find for ~$3/ea. Obviously it depends on what you're looking for and the level of detail you want.
ElevenCharlie20
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:19 PM UTC
My first two sets were single purchases, the vehicles I wanted to use hadn't come out in multiple boxed sets as of yet. The first time I held a FoW piece, I just liked the "heft" of it. Resin and metal. I guess I could weight the bases instead. Hmmmm, thanks for the ideas. Plastic is cheaper and the figures don't have such big heads...
 _GOTOTOP