_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
What would you do with a T-28??
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 08:37 AM UTC
Ok, so I bought a scale 1:35 T-28 at a hobby show for $10. I think it's a really cool kit, but I don't know what to do with it. Any suggestions?? I'm open to buying other stuff to compliment it too, so it builds into a nice diorama. Any suggestions are more than welcome! Thanks.
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 09:57 AM UTC

You could do a lot with a T-28 Didn't they get used in mine removal quite a bit? I have always had a soft spot for mine plows, rollers and the like. You could have the crew dealing with damage caused by a detonation. THis would be unique, and give you a chance to show off your scratching skills. How about repairing a track that got blown off, and replacing a road wheel? Anything to show off the strong points of the kit, and hide the weaker points is cool too.

I have a T-26 kit in 1/72 with really nasty rubberband tracks, but great detail otherwise. (Lots of photoetch, and fenders and the whole bit) I have decided to portray the tank going through a stretch of deep mud, with several infantry hitching a ride on it. That way, I still have a neat model, but the tracks will be partly hidden, and the exposed sections will be covered with mud, grass etc.

One thing that I do with a lot of my models is to build a model and its adversary or counterpart. I usually don't make a diorama, but I sometimes mount both of them to a common base. It may either two vehicles that would meet in combat, like a tank, and a tank destroyer, or a Scud launcher and a Warthog.... Or it may be two pieces that would be unlikely to meet face to face, but fulfill the same role for opposite sides. (Stuka and a Sturmovik, or Warthog and Frogfoot)

Also, anything Soviet from WWII looks nice in a winter scene. THis lets you use winter camo, and make snow. Also winter ends in spring which means snow, slush and water running off everywhere. breaking a path through an icy stream, or something like that is cool too.

Winter field repairs must have been an adventure too. How about digging the tank out after a snow storm, with icicles on the tank, and a frozen tarp protecting the gun? Or how about covering the tank in snow to hide it?

I'm just tossing out a few ideas off the top of my head. I had better quit before I start another project that I'll never get finished!

_GOTOTOP