_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV tools
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 08:40 PM UTC
Over the years I’ve read many books and writings, yet have never come to a definitive understanding on the color of tools on German vehicles. How were the shovels, pickaxes, etc painted? Was the wood left natural? Were they left in place when camouflage was painted on the vehicle, or removed before painting?
Or was it all haphazard - no standard practice?
I know on US vehicles there was no standard, even in my time in the Army (Viet Nam days), but I would think that the Whermacht would have had a regulation approach.
What’s the groups opinion? Thanks
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 08:49 PM UTC
Can't say about when they were factory-fresh, but later, when being camouflaged or re-painted in the field, it was pretty haphazard, tools and equipment being removed or not removed prior to painting. It's all up to you (or the company commander) whether or not to remove tools before painting.
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:01 PM UTC
I think you should fallow the logic. First, it does not take long to remove tools. Paint might ruin function of lift jacks fire extinguishers etc. They have to remain functional. Another issue, is surface preparation for painting. Early or late at war, you still have to clean it to paint it. Cleaning is easier when tools are off.
Yes it could be done both ways, but tools off version looks more tidy, and more interesting because of color variation.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:14 PM UTC
There's the regulations and then there is what you actually have time to do.

Also EVERYTHING can be painted. This is the military we're talking about. I saw lots of tools and parts that should not have been painted, but were. Track jacks? They used to store them externally so they were painted but the working bits were greased. Shovels and picks? Painted, not painted, and then given to some bored private to paint as busy work.

What can ruin camouflage in a second? Anything shiny bare metal. I see a shovel and I want it painted not metal. Sunlight hits that and you're dead no matter how many bushes you piled on the fenders.
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:24 PM UTC
Thanks folks. Darious, I like your point on visual interest. Steve, you’re right ‘paint those tools, private’, I said that myself on occasion. The only exception, of course was the Generals Jeep. I saw them in gloss OD finishes with lacquered wood finishes. We hoped they would draw fire!
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 11:00 PM UTC
Some things probably were removed if they felt it might hurt them. A cleaning rod wouldn't be as effective if the brush end was coated in paint, while a shovel would not be bothered.

Photo evidence does show both cases, and even mixed.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 - 01:51 AM UTC
Don't forget things like bolt cutters often had bakelite covered handles. There's been a few threads on here about it over the years. Bakelite colour can vary wildly but kind of a blackish red-brown.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't forget things like bolt cutters often had bakelite covered handles. There's been a few threads on here about it over the years. Bakelite colour can vary wildly but kind of a blackish red-brown.

It also has the property that paint won't stick to it.

Regards

Rob
 _GOTOTOP