_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-72 Help Please and Thank you.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 481 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hey all

Hope Christmas was good to everyone, and excites about new year. I am!! So I've been away about a year and just coming back to hobby and have a ? Or two. First is I am looking to build this T-72 tank I believe it is an A or M1. And my kit turret is completely wrong. Is there an aftermarket kit for this turret. And if so can someone guide me thanks a lot.

Eugene.

linkname
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all

Hope Christmas was good to everyone, and excites about new year. I am!! So I've been away about a year and just coming back to hobby and have a ? Or two. First is I am looking to build this T-72 tank I believe it is an A or M1. And my kit turret is completely wrong. Is there an aftermarket kit for this turret. And if so can someone guide me thanks a lot.

Eugene.

linkname

Miniarm produces high quality T-72 turrets in resin. That said, Trumpeter's new catalog lists an early T-72 for 2018. Not sure which subvariant, offhand.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 10:06 AM UTC
Gerald

Hi I found mini arm but don't see the turret. I thought my pictures linked. I followed directions. :/
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 04:53 AM UTC
Ok got it. These are the turrets i need for my builds. Looking for help to get.

Ok I think I figured it out. This is the turret I'm looking for for my builds,but can't find it where to look can you all help.?

And for my second build this one.

barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 05:50 AM UTC
T-72M1, both of them. Just with & without smoke grenade launchers. SBS makes that one, I don’t think Miniarm does.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 06:20 AM UTC
I have looked and looked but I can't find the armor on the roof turret. My Dragon T-72M2 kit has that turret but looks a touch different. I want to be sure, can anyone else add some insight.? To Brett and I??
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 09:04 AM UTC
Yeah, Nadboy anti-radiation liner. Might want to start with a T-72AV turret and modify to M1 spec or add Nadboy to M1 turret with epoxy putty. Don’t think anyone makes that exact combination. If it’s Hungarian they’re M1 that’s all they have now. Top one has newer pattern track, both have newer pattern mudguards. Gonna be a lot of work from Tamiya base. Might want to wait and see what Trumpeter does, they just announced some new A’s.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 10:02 AM UTC
Brett thanks for some insight. I have seen a picture doing Google Fu. Of a A/V turret but don't see where to get one, any tips on that.

Second for the tamiya kit what are the changes needed. I have seen one of my pics there is a bigger plate on the front top deck by the V. Most have 2 ribs in the V but have seen another with 3. Also some have the 8 hole wheels and some have 6. And the bottom plate I've seen different with those Bolt holder things is this right?

barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 11:47 AM UTC
Miniarm makes the A/AV turret with Nadboy anti-radiation cladding but it has later pattern smoke grenade cluster than what you posted. I’m not sure export versions ever got that type. Their stuff is all over eBay.

The Tamiya kit is an oddball. It’s a M1 hull with a (rather poorly shaped) M turret based on an East German version of only around 50 tanks. That just happened to be the tank Tamiya’s designers measured so that’s what it is. To make it an accurate M1 you need SBS’s turrets, they make versions with and without the smoke grenade launchers like both the ones you posted. But no Nadboy cladding. I don’t get exactly what you’re trying to build, are you trying to build a Hungarian version with the cladding? Or just correct the Tamiya into an accurate M1?

I don’t mean to sound rude but there’s just too many little changes in T-72 production to fit into a post. The How to Model T-72 post here on Armorama is a good place to start https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/167913&page=1. If you’re on Facebook there’s also the T-72 & T-90 Research Group you can ask to join (I’m a member) where we discuss stuff like this all the time. It’s really hard to keep track of everything with T-72 production.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 08:36 PM UTC
Thanks

Yes I am trying to build a Hungarian M1 with Anti Rad. I have seen a picture of the mini arm turret a/av. But the links I see dont have a link to buy or any pricing, and I dont think k eBay has any. Are they not making them anymore??

I found the link this AM. Thanks a lot. I also found the T-72/T-90 FB thing like 5 days ago but no acceptance.
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 06:50 AM UTC
Looks like it’s backordered everywhere must be OOP. It could also be possible to use an SBS M1 turret and adapt separate rubber Nadboy pieces and cladded hatches from Meng T-90 or T-72B1. It will be a lot easier to model if you can wait for Trumpeter’s mod. 1983 that they just announced.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 08:40 AM UTC
Ooh yeah, dang. There's a 72A coming out?? Who is doing this? And I have a 72B Turret that has the coating on it. And I could leave off the smokes on the side. And putty the depressions smooth. That could work too right? The turrets look pretty damn close and I'm putting the 3 Bins on anyway.

At least do one Tamiya to learn, before a good one comes out. Ivebonly done 2 tanks ever a nichimo Sherman and the academy PZIV.
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a 72B Turret that has the coating on it. And I could leave off the smokes on the side. And putty the depressions smooth. That could work too right? The turrets look pretty damn close and I'm putting the 3 Bins on anyway.

No, B is quite a bit different. Different shape. A/M1 is round, B is more angular and squared off. Those depressions are where there are cavities with special armor plates built into B turrets then covered with a plate and welded shut. B has different gunner's sight.

Trumpeter is doing A versions but they literally just showed them in their new catalog for the first time this past week. So it may be a year or two before they're out. B

This link may help you understand T-72 variants a little bett er, he's talking about 1/72 but it still shows the basic differences in versions. http://www.onthewaymodels.com/articles/Modelling%20the%20t72%20family.htm
 _GOTOTOP