_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
How to ID the "newer" Tamiya 1/35 kits ?
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 03:31 AM UTC
I was amazed at he difference in the two Pz.II kits and wondered how I can identify if the Tamiya kits are of the newer/better tooling class vs. the older, less detailed versions from the 70's
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 03:48 AM UTC
A higher product number would be an obvious hint but the problem is that sometimes they take an old kit, add some figures or gas cans or something and slap on a new product number.

One way that will work is to ask here, in this forum.
Another option is to ask Google about reviews, some reviewers will actually mention if a new kit is a combination of old stuff with some new pieces.
Some 1970's Tamiya are actually OK even if some of them now faces competition from other brands/manufacturers.

/ Robin

Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 03:51 AM UTC
You can check the kit timelimes on scalemates too. Generally they are pretty reliable.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can check the kit timelimes on scalemates too. Generally they are pretty reliable.

Thanks for reminding me!
How could I have forgotten ScaleMates

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/
Using Google like this: Tamiya product-nr Scalemate
usually gives a good result.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/132349-tamiya-mm109-panzer-kampfwagen-ii-ausf-f-g
is the result of asking Google for "Tamiya Pz II scalemate"

Scrolling down on the page sometimes provides links to reviews, like this one:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/tamiya/tam35292.html
"Tamiya first released their Panzer II Ausf.F/G (kit #35009) back when Adam was a boy and is really not up to today’s standards and now after all these years we now have this new Panzer II Ausf.c.A.B.C from Tamiya which doesn’t share any parts with the older Marder II (kit #35060) or Wespe (kit#35200)."

/ Robin
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 01:05 AM UTC

Thanks for reminding me!
How could I have forgotten ScaleMates!

-------'
Their stash manager also serves as a sobering and embarassing reminder on how many unbuilt kits we have
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 01:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A higher product number would be an obvious hint but the problem is that sometimes they take an old kit, add some figures or gas cans or something and slap on a new product number.

One way that will work is to ask here, in this forum.
Another option is to ask Google about reviews, some reviewers will actually mention if a new kit is a combination of old stuff with some new pieces.
Some 1970's Tamiya are actually OK even if some of them now faces competition from other brands/manufacturers.

/ Robin

That is a good idea. Many members can point out not only where and when the parts are from but also if it is a rebox from another manufacturer, what figure and accessory sprues are added, etc. That being said Tamiya usually puts the Italeri or ICM logo on their reboxes.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 01:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for reminding me!
How could I have forgotten ScaleMates!

-------'
Their stash manager also serves as a sobering and embarassing reminder on how many unbuilt kits we have

I have stopped counting kits in the stash, now I count the cubic feet instead
/ Robin
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 08:57 PM UTC
If you are looking at kits in your favorite LHS , somewhere on the side of the kit box above one the Tamiya logos it states the copyrite date of the kit . For example ,the Stug III G #35197 - 1995 , the SU-122 # 35093 - 1977.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 09:37 PM UTC
1/35 kits molded by Tamiya start with a 35XXXX kit number.

Their SdKfz 222/223, SAS Jeep, LRDG truck, SdKfz 251 Ausf.C, 88 mm Flak 36/37 are old kits.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 04:30 AM UTC
It's always a good idea to ask here before you buy. Sometimes it is not so clear- some post-1980s panzer IV kits used the 1985 hull for instance.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's always a good idea to ask here before you buy. Sometimes it is not so clear- some post-1980s panzer IV kits used the 1985 hull

You mean "1975" hull. Any Tamiya Panzer IV released before the 1990s has the ancient early 1970s motorized hull. 1994 saw the new Panzer IV J and H and the Whirbelwind and Mobelwagen both saw iterations on that hull. (But also on the 1970s hull so confusion there without Scalemates at your finger tips)

Then there's the new 2010s hull for the Panzerjager IV and Brumbar. Easy to tell there as it three return rollers and there's no sign of Tamiya doing a straight gun tank.

Yeah, it's confusing as it can get. Gets worse with the fact that some 1970s Tamiya kits are still respectable kits with some after market like the Sdkfz 222 or even that Sdkfz 251. It's so bloody cheap these days compared to everything else.

But stay away from Tamiya Shermans unless you love filling empty fender overhangs and making lots of wire grab handles.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 04:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

/ Robin

Surely that should be cubic metres?

Personally I'm contemplating a shift to metric tonnage...
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 04:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

Surely that should be cubic metres?

Personally I'm contemplating a shift to metric tonnage...

Cubic Meters are a tiny bit bigger than cubic yards so anything to make it sound smaller is okay. But then with hundreds of 54mm figures and 1/72 aircraft measuring by volume is pretty good for me.

With all those metal figures tonnage is bad.
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 06:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It's always a good idea to ask here before you buy. Sometimes it is not so clear- some post-1980s panzer IV kits used the 1985 hull

You mean "1975" hull. Any Tamiya Panzer IV released before the 1990s has the ancient early 1970s motorized hull. 1994 saw the new Panzer IV J and H and the Whirbelwind and Mobelwagen both saw iterations on that hull. (But also on the 1970s hull so confusion there without Scalemates at your finger tips)

Then there's the new 2010s hull for the Panzerjager IV and Brumbar. Easy to tell there as it three return rollers and there's no sign of Tamiya doing a straight gun tank.

Yeah, it's confusing as it can get. Gets worse with the fact that some 1970s Tamiya kits are still respectable kits with some after market like the Sdkfz 222 or even that Sdkfz 251. It's so bloody cheap these days compared to everything else.

But stay away from Tamiya Shermans unless you love filling empty fender overhangs and making lots of wire grab handles.

Good info - I noticed that on the Sherman's broken grabs and those big gaps! I have the new easy eight euro unopened and a dragon "bulge". How does the easy eight Tamiya stack up?
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 06:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How does the easy eight Tamiya stack up?

Like most kits, quite easily

Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 07:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Good info - I noticed that on the Sherman's broken grabs and those big gaps! I have the new easy eight euro unopened and a dragon "bulge". How does the easy eight Tamiya stack up?

The new Tamiya Easy 8 is a wonder of engineering and absolutely beautiful, but every grab handle is a ridge. Dragon's kit has a couple too and I am not a fan of the complex bogie units.

The new Tamiya Easy 8's are lovely kits and wonderful builds, just have to replace the ridges.
 _GOTOTOP