_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Primer Suggestions
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 07:39 PM UTC
I've always sprayed my black/gray primer on with a can and will do the rest indoors with Model Air acrylics - do you guys use primer through your airbrush or can?

I have brushed on Vallejo gray primer on MMS white metal kits in the past, not on plastic.

I would want to use an acrylic water based primer
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 07:50 PM UTC
I have no problem, with spraying primers through my airbrush. Actually, I can spray lacquer thinner, without reducing it. My current favorite is Vallejo(reduced 1:1 paint:airbrush thinner and a couple of drops of Windex). You can decant rattle cans and spray, without reduction. My preferred rattle can is Testors/ModelMaster grey.
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 401 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 08:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've always sprayed my black/gray primer on with a can and will do the rest indoors with Model Air acrylics - do you guys use primer through your airbrush or can?

I have brushed on Vallejo gray primer on MMS white metal kits in the past, not on plastic.

I would want to use an acrylic water based primer

I use exclusively Badger’s Stynylrez primer for the airbrush. Has not disappointed yet. You can safely sand it when it has dried and cured.
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 11:26 PM UTC
Nice --- does the Badger stuff need to be thinned or can you/do you apply direct ?
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice --- does the Badger stuff need to be thinned or can you/do you apply direct ?

Badger’s Stynylrez primer, sandable, workable, lots of colours & you spray neat, no thinning required
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In my experience, it’s seldom a good idea to thin primers. Badger recommends a 0.5 mm nozzle at (20-30 psi?) but I use it at 40 psi (30 operating) with a 0.35 mm nozzle.

In short, I use it neat out of the bottle at 40 psi gauge. It’s touch dry in 15 seconds, never lifts with tape and cures rock solid. You can easily sand it to a feathered edge after it has cured.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 03:47 PM UTC
I think I'm going to give this Badger primer a go, sounds good. I'd been wary of water based acrylic primers after reading about some brands lifting off. Presumably this stuff is not noxious in terms of vapours which would be a big plus as my current favourite black spray can primer (Halfords - great leveling, quick drying, pours out the can though) is seriously bad in that respect.

Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 06:44 PM UTC
Stynylrez is also sold under Ammo's brand as One shot primer. I love it. I do apply few drops of thinner, airbrush it in few thin layers. Leave it to cure for 24 hours and voila. If you are going to use it on PE, i recommend treating with PE solutions first because, like any other acrylic primer I tried, it may not stick so good on metal.
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 06:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stynylrez is also sold under Ammo's brand as One shot primer. I love it. I do apply few drops of thinner, airbrush it in few thin layers. Leave it to cure for 24 hours and voila. If you are going to use it on PE, i recommend treating with PE solutions first because, like any other acrylic primer I tried, it may not stick so good on metal.

Zdravo Saša,

I agree about the pre-treatment of PE. However, all I do for PE is a quick pass with an 800 sanding stick and wipe with alcohol on cotton. Surfaces essentially just need porosity.
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 06:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I'm going to give this Badger primer a go, sounds good. I'd been wary of water based acrylic primers after reading about some brands lifting off. Presumably this stuff is not noxious in terms of vapours which would be a big plus as my current favourite black spray can primer (Halfords - great leveling, quick drying, pours out the can though) is seriously bad in that respect.

There is still a chance of it lifting off if there is dust or oil on your surface. I make sure to wipe plastic and metal with alcohol before spraying and so far I haven’t had a single case of lifting off, and I’ve done some builds with a ton of masking.

Acrylic paints and primers do not have organic vapours but they do form dust in the air once the atomized paint has dried. I just use a filtered dust mask to avoid exposure.
 _GOTOTOP