_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Newbie question
Walleye2112
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:03 PM UTC
Hello--just finished my first year of returning to the hobby after many years away. I also just finished my first diorama and it came out pretty good I think for a newbie. Now I'd like to continue to start another project and was looking for some feedback on Miniart Model products. I have been looking at a variety of their bases with ruined structures and the detail looks pretty good to me. Anyone here have any feedback as I start to research the next project? Thanks in advance!
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:39 PM UTC
Take note that Miniart buildings and ruins are vacu-formed. I means that you have to cut the walls out of the sheet and clean it up. Depending how good you cut, more or less filling and sanding is required. While general cheap, vacu-formed part require some care building.
YSUMark
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Take note that Miniart buildings and ruins are vacu-formed. I means that you have to cut the walls out of the sheet and clean it up. Depending how good you cut, more or less filling and sanding is required. While general cheap, vacu-formed part require some care building.

I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 03:21 AM UTC
A little work and a bit of patience can yield some very nice results. Here's MiniArt's tutorial video which you may find of some use.
'How to Construct & Paint Buildings and Dioramas Tutorial.'
Enjoy the music! 🎶🎶🎶

Note: It helps to reinforce the inner seams with Evergreen Styrene, i.e. inside the door/window openings. This will provide some rigidity for putty and sanding the outer surfaces smooth. In addition, filling the base with a product such as tile grout or plaster will keep the base from flexing as you work on it. There are other methods out there as well.

Hint: Don't waste your Tamiya Extra Thin Cement on vacu-form buildings. Tamiya makes a thicker Plastic Cement (87012) with a wider brush which is very useful.

Happy Modeling!
—mike
Walleye2112
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 04:17 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the replies and links to the videos. Very helpful.
 _GOTOTOP