_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What type of Zimm for this Meng Panther?
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 - 12:14 AM UTC
Does anyone know which of Meng's zimmerit decal sets would be best for this Panther option? I found one pic of the actual tank, but it's too far away to make out the details. Thanks.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 - 01:37 AM UTC
SPS 050, maybe? The only other set I could find searching has the diagonal slash across each "block" and I don't see that in the image you posted.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 - 04:36 AM UTC
That's what I was thinking. This is the only other one I saw that looked close was this http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10493027/20/1
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:24 AM UTC
These Zimmerit decals from Meng - are they printed resin in relief on decal sheet such as Archer's surface detail decals? Any problems noted in applying such large decals?
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

These Zimmerit decals from Meng - are they printed resin in relief on decal sheet such as Archer's surface detail decals? Any problems noted in applying such large decals?

Probably like the Tamiya ones, best to use CA glue especially at the outsides. They tend to lift in these areas .
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 - 05:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

While not really ‘on topic’, I’d like to know the same thing. I read elsewhere that these Zim decals may not be ‘3D’, that is, more than just a ‘regular’ decal. Another possible comparison would be the Atak Zimmerit, but Atak doesn’t call their Zimmerit a decal. If I were confident that the Zim from Meng was like the Atak Zim, I’d really give some thought to a Meng Panther. Otherwise, I’ll stick with the Dragon Zimmerit kits which have Zimmerit molded into the plastic.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 - 08:17 PM UTC
They are resin printed on a decal film, so they have some 3d effect, but not as good as the Atak/Cavalier sets. I am actually thinking about seeing if the actual resin Zim for the Dragon or Italeri kits works
FISTer13F
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 - 08:36 PM UTC
Gents, I just received a set (Ver 1)from HLJ. They definitely do look like a soft raised edge effect on a decal sheet as some of the past reviews have said. I have also read that others have tried them on straight plastic with mediocre results, like lifting at the edges and not responding to setting solutions. I haven't read anywhere that anyone has tried them as they would any other decal....over a painted glossed surface. I don't intend to use them on the side skirts, so figured that would be a good test bed. If I get negative results, I'm going old school with a Tamiya zimm tool set and Elmer's wood putty. Will keep you all posted unless someone beats me to it.
Best to all this New Year.
 _GOTOTOP