_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Looking for suggestion on M-18 of AFV
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hi all,
I've started do build a kit of M-18 of AFV.
I would like to ask suggestions.

For example, I've seen on some walkaround that the inside of the turret is painted in olive drab, while the inner of the hull is predominantly white; only the pavement visible through the opening on the turret should be painted OD. I have not images of the rear wall separating the crew compartment from the engine bay. Should it be painted white too, or OD?

Another thing: I've seen that many types of tracks were utilized. The vinyl tracks of the kit, representing the all-metal version, don't look bad and I think to utilize them. Now, is this type of track suitable for ww2 tanks only, or for postwar ones too?
In particular, is it utilizable for the Chinese camouflaged one visible on the instructions sheet?

In general, are there other suggestions that could be useful?
Thank you for any help.

smorko
Visit this Community
Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 03:00 PM UTC
look on PMMS for a full build review. The main problem is the metal barrel, the shape is off. RB model makes an M1A2 barrel that fits with no big issues. The turret has a compartment floor that slots into the hull floor, so paint the hull interior white (all of it) and paint the whole turret assembly OD. Very little white will be visible from the top. You may want to invest in some brass ammo for the rack next to the gun, it is quite prominent. The track is live so rubberband tracks are perfectly fine and look the part, I personally used Friuls, and I think there are some others on the market now as well. One thing missing that is often seen on hellcats is the canvas mantlet cover. Otherwise the kit has great fit and looks great. Happy modeling
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 08:41 PM UTC
Thank you, the build report is good. I saw that two pieces of the suspension were exchanged in the instructions sheet, I had already built them but I arranged to correct the mistake.
The thing on the barrel is rather unpleasant, I'll try to arrange a new one in some ways.
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:25 PM UTC
If you can find one, Hobby Fan makes a resin canvas cover for the mantlet along with some resin stowage items specifically for the AFV Club kit.
 _GOTOTOP