_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern Armor
Modern armor in general.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Any spare wheel for Leopard 2A4 avalible ?
leopard122
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 02:43 AM UTC
Hi, i'm building a leopard 2a4 Can now and i have seen pictures of these tanks in afghanistan that they have 2 spare wheels on the turret slat armour so i wounder if there are any avalible to buy in 1/35 ? I know there are leopard 1 spare wheel to buy but i assume you can not use them on a leopard 2a4 ? Or are they very different?
Hope someone knows
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 03:18 AM UTC
I don't think there are any spare Leopard 2 road wheels available at the current time.

I've checked aftermarket companies and Shapeways and negative so far.

I am looking for a couple for my Canadian Leopard 2A6M CAN project.

The road wheels are different than on a Leopard 1.

My plan is to make a couple of spares using unused Revell-Germany Leopard 2 outer road wheels as they have an open hub.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 03:41 AM UTC
Here's a Leopard 2A4M CAN with a spare road wheel attached to the turret slat. It's a bit hard to tell with the image angle but the spare might actually be an idler wheel due to the size.

Here's a Leopard 2A6M CAN mounting a mine roller bra with a spare road wheel attached to the turret slat.

leopard122
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 05:15 AM UTC
Thanks again Jason, then i need to try to get a kit to take the wheels from.. I was hoping a aftermarket company had some.. Maybe Micheal here on amorama could do a wheel for shapeways if he could get good reference and measurements... :-) should maybe ask him..

Yes it can also be a idler wheel on the 2a4 as you say, looks little smaller then the other wheels..

Jason do you know if the leopard 2a4 can with barracuda ( like psm kit ) have ever been in Germany on Trainings/exersice. ? Or was they only used in afghanistan during that short time ? 6-7 months..

I know you have been a crew on a leopard, do you maybe know what color it would be on the barracuda backside on the umbrella in the kit? Is it grey or black? Or sand/buff on both sides?
Is it alwas bottles on the antenna? And what do you have in them?
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think there are any spare Leopard 2 road wheels available at the current time.

My plan is to make a couple of spares using unused Revell-Germany Leopard 2 outer road wheels as they have an open hub.

check the leopard club its a site relating to every thing for the leopard 1 and Leopard 2
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

check the leopard club its a site relating to every thing for the leopard 1 and Leopard 2

Yup, I'm very familiar with the excellent Leopard Club/Workshop site. I created some masters for their recent Canadian Leopard 2A6M CAN conversion.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 06:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks again Jason, then i need to try to get a kit to take the wheels from.. I was hoping a aftermarket company had some.. Maybe Micheal here on amorama could do a wheel for shapeways if he could get good reference and measurements... :-) should maybe ask him..

Yes it can also be a idler wheel on the 2a4 as you say, looks little smaller then the other wheels..

Jason do you know if the leopard 2a4 can with barracuda ( like psm kit ) have ever been in Germany on Trainings/exersice. ? Or was they only used in afghanistan during that short time ? 6-7 months..

I know you have been a crew on a leopard, do you maybe know what color it would be on the barracuda backside on the umbrella in the kit? Is it grey or black? Or sand/buff on both sides?
Is it alwas bottles on the antenna? And what do you have in them?

I am sure someone could create a master for a Leopard 2 idler and road wheel with little effort simply using existing 1/35 parts...no need to measure the real thing.

The 2A4M CANs were used for crew training in Germany at KMW and then over to Afghanistan. There were no exercises conducted in Germany.

The umbrella in the kit provides an example of a modified umbrella. The Barracuda cover provided limited sun shade so the crews removed it...and then added an improvised solid durable plastic cover from the Canadian Army Support Kit Overhead Protection (SKOP) kit and then added the Barracuda back on top. This provided a solid sun shade. Sometimes you could see it reversed with the SKOP kit plastic over the Barracuda. The plastic is like a dark olive green colour.

The upside down water bottles were an easy way to insert infrared glow sticks in order to denote the Troop designation of the tanks.
leopard122
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 02:15 PM UTC
Thanks for that useful information Jason. Now i will begin build my kit
Hope you can help more if i need some help..

Yes i know about leopard club Nick, but the spare wheels they have are for leopard 1 and not for the 2a4 but they have alot of other nice things i need from them
pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 02:33 PM UTC
Michael does a full set of replacement wheels for the Leo2
http://leopardclub.ca/workshop/LW013/

th_berlin
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 04:16 PM UTC
Hello,

how about just ordering a replacement sprue for the wheels from the producer of your kit?
There should be a replacement form with a list of the sprues in the instruction sheet. Just take this and ask at your local hobby shop. I did it with a Tamiya kit once. It will take several weeks until you get it, but then you have the original wheels fitting your kit...

Cheers
Thomas
leopard122
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,

how about just ordering a replacement sprue for the wheels from the producer of your kit?
There should be a replacement form with a list of the sprues in the instruction sheet. Just take this and ask at your local hobby shop. I did it with a Tamiya kit once. It will take several weeks until you get it, but then you have the original wheels fitting your kit...

Cheers
Thomas

Hello Thomas, that would be a option but i already have all wheels for my kit, i just need 2 wheels to put on the turret like on Jasons photos and the ones in the kit have the hub molded on them..
But thanks for the tip..

Hi Paul, yes they do a full set of wheels for leo 2 but no spare wheels like on the photo from Jason, the wheels they have are for leo 1...
 _GOTOTOP